Skip to main content

Dragonfly Dreams

Hi everyone! It's me Tonya! First off let me tell you I'm super excited to be a part of Altered Pages/Mailbox Muse design team. The thought of having hundreds of vintage images to create with simply makes me giddy. :-)
 
I want to share my first project I created using inks and markers from this month's partner, IMAGE Crafts and products from Altered PagesIf any of you know anything about me you know I love to alter things and use stuff that would normally be thrown away in a lot of my projects. I started out with the empty packaging from one of those XLG Sizzix die cuts  and cut it down so I could run it through the diecut machine to cut the page out. Next, I embossed both ends with a small Polk a dot embossing folder. Then I inked the embossed surface and some of the edges with the following Emerald City, Blue Hawaii and Gothic Purple StazOn Inks. 


Once the ink dried I dug into my own stash of scraps of paper and embellishments and came out with this pink paper and a "D" which I outlined with the fine point end of the Memento Nautical Blue marker and then I adhered all to the page.


Next I used the Altered Pages Green Backgrounds printable collage sheet, which I cut apart since it has four different backgrounds. I adhered one larger and a smaller background pieces to the backside of the page so as not to cover up the inking.


I used the Muse Dragonfly stamp and stamped with both the StazOn Gothic Purple and Emerald City ink onto the leftover Green Backgrounds. I fussy cut the dragonfly, added Startdust Stickles and adhered only the body to the page and shaped the wings where it looks like it is going to take off and fly. I cutout a banner and stamped verbiage and adhered to the top of the page. I topped it off with lace, sequins and Dew Drops.


From my own personal stamp stash I used this dragonfly (which I had never used until now) and stamped on some Bazzill cardstock with StazOn Gothic Purple ink. I fussy cut and added Startdust Stickles and adhered the body to the page and shaped its wings too.



I did try and stamp the bigger dragonfly onto the page and it didn't look right. So when I added the cutout image of the dragonfly over the top of what I stamped on the page it gives it a shadow effect…not bad for a mistake. :-) I also added more sequins and Dew Drops to finish off the page.


Supplies Used:

Altered Pages: Collage sheet Green BackgroundsStartdust SticklesDew DropsBazzill cardstock
IMAGE Crafts:StazOn Ink-Blue Hawaii, Emerald City, Gothic Purple and Memento Nautical Blue marker
Other Supplies: "D" embellishment, Scraps of scrapbook paper, Sequins, Button, Larger Dragonfly Stamp, Sizzix Page Diecut, Polk a dot embossing folder.


Be sure to stop by IMAGE Crafts and Altered Pages and check all the product featured and be sure to stop by everyday and see what each design team member comes up with. Their creativity will definitely amaze you!
Thanks for stopping by, hope your Saturday is awesome and enjoy creating!!!


Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…