Skip to main content

Blocking In or is it Blocking Out?

This past weekend I played along with the free Creative Retreat - Art is Magic and loved all the mixed media painting and collage workshops shared particularly those that were featuring various methods of blocking in the negative space.  Today I thought I would share my take on the lesson shown by artist Stephanie Lee.  This method (shown by Stephanie) again allowed me to use up some of the scraps of both papers and collage images I had left over from other projects.  I had my favorite Red Butterfly Image and a couple of Vintage Valentines Images on hand from Altered Pages Collage Sheets.



I chose to work on loose sheets of Water Color Paper with the idea of adding this along with the others I created over the weekend to a journal - I taped the edges to create a border and also to stick my page down onto my work surface.  Next, I collected my scraps together and started to stick them all down onto my page using Gel Medium as both my adhesive and as a sealing layer once I had done this. 


Once the Gel Medium was dry I put out some white paint with a few other paler color and started to paint over the background leaving my chosen collage elements showing, and also parts of the background showing through.




With the paint layer applied I took my stylus tool and used the sharp point to scratch some patterns and lines into the paint.  And in places added some further color with the paint.  I then took some modeling paste and a stencil and added further details to one part of the page.

This page has a somewhat shabby vintage feel to it which is not my usual style, but I love it and really enjoyed creating this page I am sure to use this technique of Stephanie's again from time to time particularly when I have an assortment of collage image leftovers from other projects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q