Skip to main content

Cherry Blossom Santa Upcycle with Emerald Creek

Welcome Friends! 

I have a fun little upcycle project for you today using 
AlteredPages products including a few great items from Emerald Creek
I am giving a simple wine cork a glamorous makeover to become a fabulous ornanment using acrylic mirror medallions (those little plastic flowerettes used to secure a mirror to the wall) 
Here is a pic of them below and the eye screws that I use to attach to the cork. 
I opted for the smaller screws today. If you are going to be hanging a lot of goodies from your ornament you might go for a larger size eye screw. 
I honestly cannot take credit for this idea of using the mirror medallions.  I did see this somewhere before, but it was many moons ago. I thought I would bring this little trick back for you today. The mirror medallions also come in other smaller sizes. I thought why not go big!! 

I knew that I was going to be incorporating a beautiful brass cherry blossom charm from Emerald Creek so I utilized some of the cherry blossom collage images from Altered Pages.  You can find them here.  I also wanted to make a matching card and this is where Santa comes in.  You can find the other collage images I used here and here.

Okay on with the project...So, start with a wine cork...add vintage text page, embossing powder and vintage chunky clear glitter. Set this aside. You can see the cork partially done here....this is before the glitter and cherry blossom images.  
Let's work on that matching card. 
I used a pre-made card and added many layers to it.  There are scraps of vintage text page, Emerald Creek Northern Lights embossing powder, more soft pink cardstock that I ran through the cuddle bug to add a swirl texture, pretty white lace and the all-important collage images.  I have a torn piece of cherry blossom paper, a beautiful vintage lantern and good old Santa himself. 
I then added a bit of the Northern Lights embossing powder to the sides of the card and topped off with more of the chunky clear glitter.  I also added the glitter to Santa's pompom on his hat and the flame of the street lantern. 

Okay, back to that ornament.....
I added the cherry blossom images that I previously fussy cut.  Adhered the mirror medallions with the eye screws and threaded festive iridescent ribbon through the top and bottom screw.  The top one is for hanging and the bottom one is for the ever so important bling and cherry blossom charm. 
I added a few crystals and flat back pearls to the ribbon tendrils for an extra bit of pretty. 


I can just imagine this on an ornament spinner to catch all the glintz and glimmers.  Well, thank you friends for hanging out with me for a few minutes. 
I hope you were inspired to create an upcycle project of your own.  Let Altered Pages help you and it is sure to be a hit!   Please share your projects with us on FB. We love to see what you create as well. 
Have a great weekend and
Happy Thanksgiving!
Stephanie

Here is the supply list so you can pick up everything you need to recreate this fun and easy project. 
Sentimental Christmas collage sheet
Perfectly Pink Christmas collage sheet
Cherry Blossom Pink collage sheet
Versamark embossing inkpad
Northern Lights embossing powder - Emerald Creek
Brass Cherry Blossom charm - Emerald Creek
Ribbons and Lace
3d Foam Mounting Squares
Jewelry Packs  for crystals and bling
Vintage text pages  (those of you that follow me - wow - do I use vintage text in like 98% of my projects or what?!?! - it is one of my go to elements and it should be yours too)
Wine Cork


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q