Skip to main content

Forever Green

This month here at Altered Pages the Design Team is featuring products from Prima.  Forever Green is one of my favourite Prima Paper Collections because of its nature theme, and it's a bit like our winter here in this part of Australia.  With the exception of a few trees like the mulberry in our neighbours back yard not many lose their leaves so we miss the beautiful falling leaves and tones of autumn here.  Spring is now upon us, arriving a little early this year.  This time last year my neighbours mulberry bush was only just getting its new leaves, this year it never fully lost its leaves and it is now fully covered with leaves and is showing signs of fruit.  Along with this the snakes have already come out from hibernation and the birds are preparing their nests.

It is this early arrival of spring that has inspired a page in my journal today.  I love using up leftovers and scraps on my journal pages.  I had a light pink die cut of a bird lying around which matched the tones in some of the papers of the Forever Green Papers but it was the black and white tones of the Prima Papers that won me over.



I had a spread already started due to using the pages in my journal to clean up my brayer of some black paint.


I felt that this with a few other more neutral tones of colour would be perfect to depict the departing winter for my page.



Using my brayer I added some titan buff paint before looking at the Forever Green Papers I had left over for further details for both my background and main imagery.  There was one paper that had a white and black distressed wood look and a page that was black with white flower outlines.  I used these in the background.  I tore the distressed paper and cut out the flowers.  After sticking these papers down I brayered a bit more titan buff across the background allowing it to overlap the papers in places.  A touch of olive green was added with the addition of circles drawn on the page using a water colour pencil and then using a water brush to blend and colour these in.  I traced around a chipboard die cut to get the circle in different sizes on my page.





I added some further colour around the edges and further into the pages as well as a touch of colour to some of my white flowers on the prima papers using the same olive green and a fuchsia coloured watercolour pencil.  Like the colours of spring just starting to emerge.



.


Some of the papers in the Prima Forever Green Collection had beautiful imagery of birds (everyone knows I love my birds) I used a couple of these as focal images, my words were also cut from this paper collection.  Cutting around the images depicting the birds I used a distressing tool to rough up the edges before sticking them down.

I am not sure if this is completely finished, however I will let it sit still awhile before making any decisions to add to it further.

Danie xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q