Skip to main content

Feeling Groovy!

When I saw our theme for this month was Peace, Kindness and Love how could I resist a groovy 1970s theme project?  I was young in the 70s.  It was the decade where I was old enough to start choosing my own clothes, friends and music!  I don't remember any of the "adult" issues that were faced because I was so young, but I do remember the bursts of color everywhere!


Designs for Front

I've got a groovy little pocket page project to share with you.  I chose Altered Pages collage images based on a bright color palette.  Although they aren't all technically from the 70s, I think they give you the same feeling.

There are a lot of different ways to begin this project.  A pocket page is basically 9 little mini works of art in a collection, with embellishments, notes and you can even work in a surprise or two.  I like to start my pages with a single large collage cut into 9 pieces.  It allows for a nice even distribution of colors and textures.  Once they are cut apart, each one gets personalized.

Designs for Back

I marked a grid on white card stock just for a general reference of where the cuts will be and started adding collage images.  I printed both collages off in full page and half page size.  Both large and small images were added to the front of the page and the designs were enlarged enough so that each of the patterns could be used on an entire card on the back.  I also cut a piece of some scrapbook paper with peace signs on it since it was the right color.



Once both sides were complete, I dipped the edges into some Neon ink and then embossed it to make a little frame on each one.  Let me tell you one tip that I learned along the way...trim each card about 1/8 of an inch smaller than you normally would for this project if you are going to emboss the edges.  It's a tight fit and the embossing powder fights the pocket page if it's the standard 2.5 x 3.5 size card.  Lesson learned!




I used all sorts of embellishments from Altered Pages, as well as from my own hoard?...stash?...collection!  I even used earrings that probably haven't been worn in 30 years. 


This little pocket was made with a small size floral design and squares of foam adhesive.



I've still got a few squares to complete on this one and I want to write a letter to put into one of the pockets, but it's well on its way.  I hope you're inspired to create a little bit of mail art to share with someone.  Spread peace, love and kindness through the mail.  You'll be sharing a smile.



Groovy!  Now check out the products used in the links below.

Sabor Papel embellishments (flowers) & paper border scraps
Even more groovy paper choices
  Moo Backgrounds
  Spring Whimsy
  Blast From the Past 70s Style
  Pocket Quotes 3
  Spring Has Arrived Sayings
  Card Greetings




Comments

  1. I adore this! It was my era and we had lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a soundtrack for my post! I love it!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q