Monday, July 18, 2016

Flamingo Paradise Repurposed Caddy

A retro finish to a summer bash! 
Upcycling is always in people. 
I love the challenge of "making do", don't you?

Here is my repurposed caddy; inspired by @drawbertson and his ability to turn even a brown paper bag into kitschy collectables.



The supply list is as follows:
Spatula  
One cardboard caddy
Scrap of fine grit sandpaper

The store I shop at offers these sturdy caddies for single choice beverages. 
(I just had to use Dixie Belle's Flamingo for my retro caddy):


I placed a thin coat of the paint to cover most of the bold graphics and create a surface with some tooth.


This is with two thin coats:


Don't worry, the best is yet to come. Swamp Mud! 
It smooths on like frosting:


**BIG FYI: do NOT, repeat do NOT rinse the Swamp Mud down your sink. It is guaranteed to clog your drain. Use a paper towel to wipe off instead and dispose in trash.**

That said; I scraped the Mud over a stencil for a circle pattern.  


It dried rather quickly. This amazing product can be sanded like wood.


I covered the two longer sides, knocking down the extra at the edges:


I added Flamingo over the circles:


Here it is all covered:


It will dry in a jif; then we will sand back some of the Flamingo to the white again. Cool distress, huh?


Onto to the side panels. I needed the flamingo image from the collage sheet.


And I decided to add some palm fronds from another stencil I had:


Now this greenish "paint" is actually white Swamp Mud mixed with some beautiful green patina dye ink spray. I'm telling ya, this product is ah-maze-ing!

To adhere the clipped flamingo image I used the DB Satin Clear Coat Sealer under it and over it. 



A little more Flamingo paint over the edges to blend it in and there you have it! 

A charm retro herb centerpiece for my table or a caddy for silverware, napkins, and condiments for entertaining:


The side view:


Thank you so very much for taking a moment to join me on this repurposeful journey with Dixie Belle.
Join our DT creative geniuses at work each day.
Ciao for now,
-Trish Alger


4 comments:

  1. The Flamingo Caddy is so creative! Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea - terrific way to give seedlings as a house gift! (Love that flamingo paint color!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real cute. I keep these cardboard caddies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this too much! Great upcycle and wonderful use of MUD. The patina spray turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete