Skip to main content

A love a little Serendipity

There are some techniques that are really popular and then fade away to be replaced by the newest craze.  I first made Serendipity cards back in 2006.  They were everywhere back then, but I haven't seen any lately.  This technique is fabulous for using up scraps and odd bits that are on your desktop.  You use coordinating colors or be totally random.  The look will be different each time.

For today's card, I chose to use only colors that complimented the Sabor Papel designs.  I chose Sabor because the designs go so well with my adorable Rubber Stamp Depot "Padre" stamp.  I added a couple of their die cuts, some colorful tickets and pieces of ribbon.  All of these were glued top and bottom with gel medium.  It dries to a matte finish and is great for collaging.

It looks like a bit of a mish mash, doesn't it?  The magic happens when you start cutting this into squares.  It's always a bit of a surprise what you're going to get if you cut it into squares without worrying about saving specific images. 

I dipped the corners of these into black pigment ink and then used Squash Blossoms embossing powder around the edges to bring out more of the blue in the designs.  Ultimately, I chose the squares embossed just in black and saved these three for another project.  Here are all 9 of the squares I got from this single sheet of Serendipity.

I settled on the three at the bottom which were embossed with black pigment ink and clear powder because it matched the way I stamped "Padre".

Because this image is the focal piece of the card I really wanted him to stand out so I gave him a faux-enamel look using Crystal Lacquer.  I used a toothpick and a light touch to spread the lacquer just in his face.

The Serendipity squares have a lot of texture to them so I wanted to bump up the rest of the card.  To do that, I used more of the same ribbon that I glued down in the original design and made a border with it.

Here is my finished background for this festive card.  I glued them in place with Tacky Glue, but you could easily use double sided adhesive.  This is where you decide if there are any areas you want to highlight or hide.  I like the bright yellow large scrapbook border but the two squares together were a little much for my taste and I decided to add a die cut over the right square.  But which design?

The Ole package of die cuts has the wonderful guitar design.  LOVE IT!  And it is the perfect size to bridge both halves of the card together. 

And "Padre", being the focal point, goes in the center square.  Two more little orange flowers were added to the squares ... just because I liked them and I thought the card needed more flowers. 

Isn't he FESTIVE?  I used him again to make the card below.  Only this time, I skipped the lacquered face.

These two different designs of the Sabor Papel have the same basic color but one has black words and one has confetti.  I used the word design behind the German Scrap frame.  Rubber Stamp Depot's "Padre" and "Heart of Christ" were layered inside the frame.  A few paper flowers, rhinestone gem stones and another Sabor die cut complete the look.  Clear Stickles glitter glue make the flames on the heart die cut really stand out.  A little rose Valentine sticker inside the heart finished it off!

You can find these fun papers, embellishments and inks at Altered Pages along with other everyday card making, scrapbooking and collaging supplies! 

Like my cards?  Come back tomorrow to see what the Design Team has to share with you.  Until then, Happy Crafting!


  1. gorgeous eye candy! beautifully done. xo

  2. Fabulous cards, Robin. Loved seeing how you put it all together.

  3. The use of the papers make for fabulous backgrounds! Love it!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q