Skip to main content

Some jingle jangle to wear

Hi, Jean today to share a project that will be fun to make and even give as a gift.

Of course, Sabor papers are the focal point of the project.  We love Sabor for a few reasons...

  • The quality of the paper is fantastic 
  • The patterns and colors are amazing
  • Sabor is a family owned business 
Here is the finished piece.   Read on to see how it was constructed.
 


I had these key tags laying around and kept looking at them, knowing they would make a good art project.





Sabor to the rescue!  

The white tag is a 1 inch circle.   I used my circle punch and cut out various Sabor papers (you will cover both sides of each tag).  Punch images or colors you want.


Apply the papers to the tags with a glue such as Aleene's.  I used a small paint brush and glued the tags, then placed the circles on top, it's neater that way.


I colored any white tag area before gluing on my papers.  I used Splash Inks colorized to match the papers.

 



Before painting the tags, I removed the metal ring. After all is finished I will reattach silver jewelry findings and add to a chain.

I also used collage images for some of the tags. I made a collage sheet that included Frida Kahlo's works, along with rubber stamped images as well as vintage Spanish women and Cowgirls. Some of the black and white images were colorized using markers to allow fine line coverage.  I will have enough tags to make a matching bracelet too! 



You want to make sure images are laser printed if you are adding liquid, as the colors/inks could run if not.

I got all my papers and images glued onto the tags and ready for the next step.


  



Not absolutely necessary, but you can use mini clothespins or paper clips to hold the papers in place until dry.  



After gluing the papers, they were coated in Crystal Lacquer (CL).  This allows for extra protection to hold up while wearing them on a necklace.   You could also make a bracelet but I would cover, dry and repeat the process for extra sturdy tags.  This step also priovdes a shine, making it look like glass.




I added the CL and allowed it to dry partially then turned them over on a cooling rack to complete the opposite side with CL.
Go through your stash or get some wonderful Petaloo flowers here.  I used our Resin Flowers which I painted with Art Anthology Acrylics.

  


I sure hope you enjoyed this little lesson with a pretty little ending!





Every order received at AlteredPages.com goes into our giveaway drawing.   Use code SABOR to save 20% on your total order today!

#AlteredPagesSabor














Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…