Skip to main content

Feature Artist: Beth Shea

We have the great pleasure to introduce you
to the amazing and talented
 

BETH SHEA 
of echo artworks

I am honored to call Beth my friend.  I have known her for 10 years... echo artworks is like a home away from  home!  She is one of kindest most giving people I know.  Every month she spends a couple of days at one of the local senior homes helping the residents repair jewelry and with beading. 

Beth is the owner, artist and chief mess-maker at echo artworks. Beth has been making jewelry and accessories for over 20 years and loves using vintage and found objects (aka junk) in her mixed media pieces.  She is an accomplished teacher and has been spending more time offering workshops at large trade shows around the country.
 
Beth will be exhibiting her vintage wares and goodies in Tucson at the To Bead True Blue show from Jan 31st through Feb 8th.  She will also be teaching workshops in drilling found objects, metalsmithing and coloring metal.  View the complete class schedule here- http://www.tobeadtrueblue.com/workshop_list.php 
 
Recently one of our local papers, "The Bremerton Patriot", had a great article about Beth and echo artworks celebrating 12 years!!!  You can see it HERE
 

 
A peak in echoartworks
 


When did you realize you had a real desire or talent for creating? I was the youngest grandchild and the only girl. My grandmother (and mother) loved to dress me in dresses and let me wear their great retro jewelry, but my grandfather treated me like any of the other grandkids-just one of the boys. So I did the same things the boys did-learn how to whittle, you get a knife; learn how to shoot, you get a gun…I just did it all in dresses. My dad was also a woodworker, and I remember standing next to him at his workbench cooking something awful in my Holly Hobby oven and him letting me hammer in nails or sand an edge.

My grandmother was the one who got me into beads after I took apart one of her necklaces-I just wanted to see how it was put together and she suggested that we get me my own beads.




What are you favorite materials to use when you create?
I am a tool-a-holic, so any time I get to use a tool, I am happy. I love old stuff-stuff that already has a story or some history, before I get my hands on it. Vintage glass is my favorite (thanks Mimi!), I love the colors and shapes they just can’t make anymore.

 
Rivited Rainbows - class at To Bead True Blue in Tucson

Where do you gain most of your inspiration?
I am a nature person, any free time I get is spent camping or exploring a beach somewhere. There are amazing patterns, combinations of colors and shapes and forms that are all right there in infinite combinations right out your back door.



  
What is your favorite quote?
I have lots of quotes that inspire me but this is one of my favorites “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” William Shakespeare I think that’s why I love teaching so much.




Web site: http://www.echoartworks.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/echo-artworks-84438448737/

GIVEAWAY!!!


I am going to by and see Beth & Pixie today and pick out some charms for a giveaway... Leave a comment on this postand I will do a random drawing the end of the week!!!!

This is what I picked up when I went to echo artworks today!
 
 
 

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

Pretty Little Trees of all colors

Make adorable ornaments or decor items.


YOU can make the most colorful trees to fit your style and home.  Surprise someone with a color coordinated gift too!
I did different techniques for dyeing the sisal trees from AlteredPages.  We have 3 inch and 4 inch sizes in natural cream color available.


# 1 Technique used simple food coloring.  Yep, just like dyeing Easter Eggs!

I used an empty glass jar filled with water and dropped about 4 to 5 of green food coloring in and stirred it well.   I then placed a tree in the water.  The sisal is just like jute, so it absorbs the color easily.   I allowed it to be submerged for a minute and took it out.  The first dipping was paler than I wanted, so back into the water!

I did the same with red food coloring and added blue to the green for an aqua, as above.   Depending on how many drops of color you add to the water and how long you leave them submerged will determine the intensity of color.  Pull them out of the water after 30 seconds and check for …