Skip to main content

Funky Fun Tree for the Holidays

Since when are Christmas Trees funky?
Part One


Jean here today, threw you off?  I usually post on Sundays but SURPRISE!

This project had its challenges.   Not from the Activa product but from me!!   My camera died in the middle of taking photos and I had to stop progress to allow for battery charging!

I am here to show you one way to make a Tree using FastMache from Activa Products.   The funky comes in when I paint it, not your Grandma's tree!!!

I was so pleasantly surprised to find the Activa product remarkably easy to use.   Just add water and off you go!

It is sort of like making pie crust when  you do a slab version like I did.   I have worked with clay (the mud kind) through the years and felt comfortable with this.  It has qualities that differ slightly from mud but overall easy to work with.



Living in a very dry Arizona, I found that I had to add a tad more water than the 'recipe' called for.   BUT I was cautious not to add too much.  To a large ziplock baggie I had added 3 1/2 cups of FastMache and one cup of water, then I would lightly add DROPS of water and work it more until it seemed the right consistency in the ziplock bag.  It will form a ball and be less sticky in the bag when it is right.   Keep bag zipped tightly when  you are working on other things.
I then made a form from paper plates (2) just rolling them into a partial cone shape and then wrapping them together to form a full tree shape.  A rubber band was used to hold it together for applying the FastMache.




Trim the bottom edge if it does not stand straight.

I then opened the bag, pressed the ball of FastMache down (just like pie crust)


and rolled out a rectangular shape with my wooden rolling pin.  I wanted it sturdy enough to withstand handling and light enough to dry quickly.

Then place the tree form on the FastMache and roll it carefully.  (do not try to do this in an upright position).    If any falls off, just add it back to any area needing it (like pie crust).   You can use silly sticks to smooth the exterior.

I gave it a minute and then stood it up.   Looking rough but good!   I then placed it outside in the sunshine to dry (ARIZONA!!).   After about 30 minutes I went back and placed random holes with a wooden skewer.   I carefully removed the paper plates and stood it up again to dry more.



Now for making it pretty!   I carefully sanded the exterior to remove any bumps or lumps.   And then comes the painting and decorating.   I will show you how that all turned out in part two of Funky Tree.   Stay Tuned for tree adventure!

Thanks for stopping by today.   Did you know we are giving away a wonderful Activa instruction book this month?   There will be a random drawing from all orders placed at AlteredPages.com.


Comments

  1. Great start to this prroject. I can't wait to see the finished tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the retro aluminum Christmas tree - can't wait to see what you do with your creation! The bar has been set pretty high here this week! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, who knew this would be so much fun???

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to Part two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q