Skip to main content

Christmas Elf Card and Matching Christmas Tag

Hello everyone!  I just returned from a wonderful Caribbean cruise and suddenly realized how close the holidays are.  So, for my first post this month with Altered Pages, I want to share a really cute and fun Christmas card and matching gift tag using this adorable Christmas elf digital image from our sponsor, Smeared Ink.


I first sized the image to fit four onto one sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" smooth white card stock. Then I used my Royal Brush Drawing Art Set to color in the image.  I mixed colors until I was able to match those on the green snowflakes paper.  (TIP: You can blend the pencil easily with Gamsol, or any other odorless mineral spirits and a blending stump.)
Next, I used a curved rectangle die (or any die you may have) to cut out the image.  Then I edged the card stock with Memento Luxe Peanut Brittle and Rhubarb Stalk ink, blending towards the center with a blending tool.
Here is a picture of the parts I used to make the card and tag.  Shown are an orange-ish red 5"x7" card, a 4-3/4" x 6-3/4" piece cut from the Green Snowflakes 12x12 paper, a green print piece die cut slightly larger than the die cut image, Ribbon, Sheer, and German Medallions.

Before these pieces were layered onto the red card base, I wrapped a piece of the sheer ribbon around the top left and lower right corners of the Green Snowflakes 12x12 paper and adhered it using the Double Side Tape Mini.  I then adhered the next green print layer with the Double Side Tape Mini, but popped the top layer of the image with Adhesive Dimensionals.   This gave the card some nice dimension.
A double bow was adhered to the top left corner with Aleene's Tacky Glue.
Then I cut one of the gold medallions out, highlighting with the Niji Oil Pastels red, which I adhered to the center of the bow.  A Hello December Giant Rhinestones was added to the center of the medallion.
The tag was simple.  I die cut one from the same Green Snowflakes 12x12 paper, but used the reverse side for the front of the tag.  I colored in a second digital image of the Christmas elf, fussy cut only the elf, and adhered to the front of the tag with Glue Stick

I added a double bow from the sheer ribbon, and added another Hello December Giant Rhinestones to the center of the bow.  I took a piece of twine to tie the bow through the hole in the tag, leaving the ends free to tie onto the gift package.



Smeared Ink digital stamp Christmas elf
Royal Brush Drawing Art Set
Green Snowflakes 12x12 paper
Hello December Giant Rhinestones
Ranger Blending Tools
Ribbon, Sheer
German Medallions
Niji Oil Pastels
Memento Luxe Ink Pads (Rhubarb Stalk, Peanut Brittle)
Adhesive Dimensionals
Aleene's Tacky Glue
Double Side Tape Mini
Glue Stick

Thanks to our sponsor, Smeared Ink, for allowing us to use their fab digital images.


I hope you enjoyed my card and matching tag project today. Please be sure to check out all of the terrific products available at Altered Pages

Have a wonderful and creative week!

Barbara

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

Pretty Little Trees of all colors

Make adorable ornaments or decor items.


YOU can make the most colorful trees to fit your style and home.  Surprise someone with a color coordinated gift too!
I did different techniques for dyeing the sisal trees from AlteredPages.  We have 3 inch and 4 inch sizes in natural cream color available.


# 1 Technique used simple food coloring.  Yep, just like dyeing Easter Eggs!

I used an empty glass jar filled with water and dropped about 4 to 5 of green food coloring in and stirred it well.   I then placed a tree in the water.  The sisal is just like jute, so it absorbs the color easily.   I allowed it to be submerged for a minute and took it out.  The first dipping was paler than I wanted, so back into the water!

I did the same with red food coloring and added blue to the green for an aqua, as above.   Depending on how many drops of color you add to the water and how long you leave them submerged will determine the intensity of color.  Pull them out of the water after 30 seconds and check for …