Skip to main content

Jean's Favorite States

Happy Sunday to Everyone, hoping your weekend has been glorious.

I am a Northeast girl transplanted to the Southwest - an almost perfectly diagonal move!    Some of you may know that my husband surprised me one day by asking if I would like to take a trip to Arizona and I said, what the heck!  Little did I know...

That trip started an adventure which provided us with many opportunties, friendships and tales to tell.   I will share more with you when I write my Arizona blog post this month.

Today I will focus on Pennsyvania, my home state, it always will be 'home'.   PA is so rich in the history that formed our great country.  

Pittsburgh Skyline


Did you know;

One of the original 13 colonies, Pennsylvania was founded by William Penn.  Pennsylvania (Penn's woods) became the second state, after Delaware, to ratify the U.S. Constitution. 

In the American Civil War (1861-1865), Pennsylvania was the site of the Battle of Gettysburg, bringing an end to the Confederacy’s Northern invasion, as well as Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.

Famous Pennsylvanians; Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Boone, painter Mary Cassatt, artist Andy Warhol, Perry Como, Sharon Stone, Martha Graham, Michael Keaton, Christina Aquilar, Gene Kelly, Henry Mancini, Jimmy Stewart, Jeff Goldblum, Andrew Carnegie, George Ferris (yep, the Ferris Wheel)    

Pittsburgh is a cultural hub as well as a famous blue collar steel mill city.  In the 1950's & 60's Pittsburgh was home to the largest concentration of corporate headquarters including PPG, US Steel, Mellon Bank, Heinz and Westinghouse.  

Andrew Carnegie and the Mellon family donated and created public libraries and museums.  The Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History is where I gained my love of Art, Architecture and History.





Being visual, the many exhibits (some of which are still there) inspired me and took me on fanciful imaginings. Egypt, Rome, Greece, dinosaurs and fantastic artists is where I spent my childhood weekends.  Thanks Dad!   The amazing Pittsburgh Zoo was the other weekend excursion we often took, summer and winter (boy those animals did have an aroma in winter!).

Home, where your heart never leaves ....

Comments

  1. Beautiful picture of Pittsburgh♥ I like visiting Pittsburgh and my sons who live on the outskirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Pennsylvania is on my list of places I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Pennsylvania, my mother is from there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great to learn more interesting facts about the States Jean and about you too! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q