Skip to main content

Industrial Chicken Wire Lamp Shade

Hi everyone! It's me Tonya and I am here to share a lamp shade I altered with MD Hobby and Craft Chicken Wire and Maps I turned into flowers to add a vintage charm to the shade.



I started with this old and tired lamp shade that use to hang in my dining room until I replaced with another light fixture. I had held onto this thinking that I might be able to use it for something later on. I am so glad I did!!!


After removing the fabric this was left with a metal frame.


The chicken wire comes folded in half and rolled up. I had my husband help by holding while I cut with wire cutter in the fold and with determining how much to cut off the roll. Also it might be a good idea that if you don't have a "holder" to help  wear gloves because the wires do have sharp edges. I know...ouch!


First make sure you have long enough wire that will wrap around the frame on all sides. Now begin wrapping each wire to the frame with needle nose pliers working from each side so it will be tight with no puckers. 


This is what the shade will look like once it is wrapped.



I used two of my favorite flower diecuts which I cut from old Maps and adhered together and to the shade with Nori Paste .


At a future date I might change out the flowers to something seasonal but for now I am loving the industrial vintage feel of my lamp shade!
If you have any questions about this project please let me know.



Supplies Used: 
Altered Pages: Maps, Nori Paste 
MD Hobby Chicken Wire
Needle Nose Pliers, Wire Cutters, Flower Diecuts 

Be sure to stop by Altered Pages and MD Hobby and Crafts to check out the latest in their shops, thanks for stopping by, hope your Saturday is wonderful and enjoying creating!



Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…