Skip to main content

Celebrating Memorial Day weekend

Happy Memorial Day weekend! 


I wanted to get us off on a patriotic note so today I have a card and a tag to share with you.  I started off with a sheet of MD Hobby & Craft in gold.  I used my favorite pocket watch die cut to make a real metal watch.  The shine sets everything off perfectly!  If you don't have a metal shim for your cutting machine you will need to run it back and forth several times.  This metal sheet is really good quality and you may need more than one pass through the machine to cut it out all the way.



I ran the flag bearer image through with the same cutting die to ensure that the image fit perfectly inside the watch fob.  I cut out the word AMERICA and dipped the edges in red ink.  The gingham border is a scrap from one of my Altered Pages patriotic collage sheets.  I partnered the gingham with one of Bazzill's mini borders. 

 
 
Red and white Bazzill flowers and some gems finish off the card.  It has a patriotic feel and would be great for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. 


I had more bits and piece laying around from trying different things to make this card and decided to put them all together into a piece of tag art.  I used another of my favorite cutting dies on the metal sheet to make the hexagon border.  The cutting die is part of a set and I used the other piece to cut out the small hexagons. 


 And when I put all of the bits and pieces together, this was the result!

http://www.mdhobbyandcraft.com/

Supplies used:
MD Hobby & Craft metal sheet
Vintage Americana collage sheet
Land of the Free collage sheet
Bazzill mini border
Bazzill paper flowers
Shipping tag
Double sided adhesive
Fibers and gemstones - check out the color kits if you're looking to build up your collection!

Have a safe and happy weekend.  Remember to thank a veteran for their service! 

And if I can sneak in a little personal message, Happy 20th Anniversary (May 26th) to my wonderful husband who puts up with supports my artistic endeavors...even when my supplies overflow from my studio into the rest of the house.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

Pretty Little Trees of all colors

Make adorable ornaments or decor items.


YOU can make the most colorful trees to fit your style and home.  Surprise someone with a color coordinated gift too!
I did different techniques for dyeing the sisal trees from AlteredPages.  We have 3 inch and 4 inch sizes in natural cream color available.


# 1 Technique used simple food coloring.  Yep, just like dyeing Easter Eggs!

I used an empty glass jar filled with water and dropped about 4 to 5 of green food coloring in and stirred it well.   I then placed a tree in the water.  The sisal is just like jute, so it absorbs the color easily.   I allowed it to be submerged for a minute and took it out.  The first dipping was paler than I wanted, so back into the water!

I did the same with red food coloring and added blue to the green for an aqua, as above.   Depending on how many drops of color you add to the water and how long you leave them submerged will determine the intensity of color.  Pull them out of the water after 30 seconds and check for …