Friday, February 20, 2015

Completed WIP!

Happy Friday everyone!!! 


For today's post I am showcasing what was a WIP a few weeks back.  It is a tin wall hanging that I started during our month of cross promo with DecorArt.  I basically had so much fun playing with the paints that I never really created much more than a background.   So, today I have finished that piece by adding collage, steampunk accents, game pieces and layers of more color and shimmer. 

This is how the piece looked at the end of the previous post. 
And, here it is finally finished. 

 This is the planning stage in this pic below.  You can see how much brighter the base colors were.  I just adore these steampunk chipboard pieces and knew they would coordinate well with the metal background.  I ultimately painted out all of the chipboard with black, grey, silver, turquoise and gold...just gave them all a bit of an old metal modeled look.  You will see that later. 
 
I toned and blended the background colors a bit more adding grey, silver, and gold. I also used an antique gold tinted gel medium.  I love the added texture as well as the transparent color it gives.   Below are a few close-ups of just that.  I also added a skinny little stripe of washi tape for an extra border.  It has an old world script image all throughout.  
  
I came across the scrabble pieces and the word H O M E popped out at me.  Then, my own gears got to turning and I realized the steampunk cameo gal reminded me of myself, with a family (2 kids), hubby, job, pets and all the craft hoarding...well my mind is always turning trying to keep everything straight in our home.  So, I knew the game pieces had to be worked in.  I covered them with the same washi tape I used for my border as I wanted to tone them down a bit...they looked just a bit too new.  I added a little extra layer of the gel medium for a stronger hold.  Under the scrabble pieces you can see the torn collage images.  These were digital images from Altered Pages that I printed in black and white on plain printer paper.  I wanted them to "take" the paint and gel medium and become truly part of the background and look like they had been there for years. This process worked just perfectly. 

Here are those gears all painted out with their "metallic" finish.
 
    
And, a close of up the washi covered game pieces



I hope you enjoyed it!  I really enjoyed actually finishing one of my WIP's.  I have one or two, or 17 of those laying around...I'm sure you can relate.  It felt great completing one...now to find the perfect spot to hang it.  

Remember to check back with the blog daily. Don't forget to leave a comment for your chance to win one of our fun giveaways.  The other fun "share" going on this month is our design team and featured artists are all offering an organizational tip.  I actaully listed my favorite in my post a couple weeks ago...the all too perfect Ikea cart.  I am going to leave it to you guys to tell me what you love and can't live without for organizing your craft stash.  
We would love for you to tell us your ideas for organization.  

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend! 
Steph S. 



Supplies used:


Steampunk Cameo chipboard
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic - in Cobalt Turquoise Hue 
DecoArt Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Yesteryear and Carbon
Silver crafts paint 

6 comments:

  1. Love the color combo and the steampunk feel off your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I love every thing about the canvas! Turquoise is a color I like using! I already shared my one and only tips using egg cartons to hold my bottles of paint :)
    I shared on pintirest ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, great piece. You achieved that old world look for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love steam punk & you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see the finished project, Steph. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the steampunk additions Steph!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete