Skip to main content

Loving these vibrant Pan Pastels!


Hi everyone!  It's a beautiful early fall day here in Michigan and I'm waiting for the leaves to start turning into the gorgeous fall golds, reds and shades of brown that we all love here in "the Mitten".  I love all the brightly colored foliage and I can't imagine a prettier place to live this time of year. 

When I first learned about pastels many years ago I ran out and bought a set of pencils.  They're fun to use but the colors in that set were very muted, much like my chalks.  So all of the talk about Pan Pastels really didn't grab my attention.  I didn't expect to get such vibrant reds and yellows as I did on this project!  I had fun with my first card earlier this month but I only used two colors on it and didn't really get to see how wonderfully they blend.  I sure found out this time!

Altered Pages has a collage sheet of beautiful coffee images and I chose one with lovely red, green and yellow in it off the We All Enjoy Coffee page.  I cut out and distressed the edges of the image using the stylus tool with the rounded head.

My coffee bean background was stamped using VersaMark ink and then I randomly added colors to compliment the collage image using one of their Sofft sponges.  I blended in more colors in layers until I got the look I wanted.  I used a workable fixative to set the pastels so that they wouldn't smear off the page as I worked with it.

Using a deckled-edge rectangle die from my own collection, I cut a piece from the same stock I used to make the card and backed my collage image with it.  I purposely chose to mount the rectangle and image at off-setting angles to enhance the deckled edge.

I hated to cover up any more of the background but I felt it needed something frilly.  I cut out a piece of lattice from the same green stock.  I had two pretty red paper flowers and one cream flower.  Cream?  No way on this project...but these flowers ink up so easily that it became a yellow flower in a few seconds.  I just pressed the flower onto my stamp pad! When it was dry, all three were sprayed with Shimmer Spritz and allowed to dry (again).  Then I glued them to the lattice, added a few tiny die-cut coffee cups (my own collection), Dew Drops and Stickles.
 

There is still time to be entered into the drawing to win your own set of Pan Pastels.  Don't miss this opportunity!  You can comment on each daily post and it counts as an entry in the drawing.  Good luck!

Scan of card

Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…