Skip to main content

Up, Up and Away

Happy Friday, my crafty friends!  Today I have a tag project to share with you showcasing both Altered Pages and Leaky Shed items.  The two companies are partnering in July to bring you some fun and exciting projects.  My project uses two Altered Pages collage sheets, ephemera and art supplies and this wonderful Leaky Shed chipboard balloon.


Begin by finding a piece of mica large enough to fit inside the balloon shape.  Place the balloon face down on the sheet of mica and trace around the outside edge of the balloon with your craft knife. 
You can decide later if you want to separate the sheets of rock or leave it whole.  Separating them will make for a lighter color rock and is a good idea if you really want the background to show through.  Set the mica aside.

Apply the ink to the balloon directly from the pad.  If you are using pigment ink, you may want to either heat set or heat emboss.  I used a different color for the basket part of the balloon before embossing.  I really wanted a shine on it so I sprayed an even coating of clear texture spray over the entire piece and let it dry.  After that, I adhered the mica to the backside and used a gold paint marker to add some detail to the basket of the balloon.

To create the tag itself, I used the middle image on the Fly With Steam collage sheet.  I didn’t want to have the balloon in the image get lost behind the chipboard so I cut the collage piece in three sections and pieced the words together for the background.  I fussy cut the balloon and glued it to the bottom corner.

Ink was sponged around the outside of the tag and around the balloon.  Strips of German scrap border were attached on three sides.  I used a ticket stamp from my stash for another collage element.   Once those pieces were together I sprayed the tag with bronze colored texture spray.  I also sprayed a flower I found in my ribbon drawer. 

The word “BALLOONS” is from the Steampunked Machines collage sheet and has a touch of the same ink on it as the tag.  The blue ink from the balloon was added to the torn edges.  A few Dew Drops and some fibers from my embellishment collection finishes it off.  And as the Fifth Dimension sings, “Up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon!

See you next time!!  If you're looking for more fun and inspiration, be sure to check out both the Altered Pages and Leaky Shed Studio blogs.  And while you're at it, check out Robin's Birdhouse, too!!

Comments

  1. Love all the little details in your tag you created!!! Wonderfully done!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vintage + balloons, wonderful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the mica idea behind - leads me to think of other dies this could be used with just as effectively. Thanks for sharing such detailed directions for a lovely tag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, Robin. Love the tag, the balloon, and all it's glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the mica IS A PERFECT accent. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this use of mica. looks brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tags is so inspiring! I love the hot air balloons♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun tag Robin ~ LOVE the mica! One of my favorite embellishments to use on anything :)

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous tag! I love it! TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome way to use mica! Your tag is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Tag Robin, I love the shimmery balloon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q