Skip to main content

Up, Up and Away

Happy Friday, my crafty friends!  Today I have a tag project to share with you showcasing both Altered Pages and Leaky Shed items.  The two companies are partnering in July to bring you some fun and exciting projects.  My project uses two Altered Pages collage sheets, ephemera and art supplies and this wonderful Leaky Shed chipboard balloon.


Begin by finding a piece of mica large enough to fit inside the balloon shape.  Place the balloon face down on the sheet of mica and trace around the outside edge of the balloon with your craft knife. 
You can decide later if you want to separate the sheets of rock or leave it whole.  Separating them will make for a lighter color rock and is a good idea if you really want the background to show through.  Set the mica aside.

Apply the ink to the balloon directly from the pad.  If you are using pigment ink, you may want to either heat set or heat emboss.  I used a different color for the basket part of the balloon before embossing.  I really wanted a shine on it so I sprayed an even coating of clear texture spray over the entire piece and let it dry.  After that, I adhered the mica to the backside and used a gold paint marker to add some detail to the basket of the balloon.

To create the tag itself, I used the middle image on the Fly With Steam collage sheet.  I didn’t want to have the balloon in the image get lost behind the chipboard so I cut the collage piece in three sections and pieced the words together for the background.  I fussy cut the balloon and glued it to the bottom corner.

Ink was sponged around the outside of the tag and around the balloon.  Strips of German scrap border were attached on three sides.  I used a ticket stamp from my stash for another collage element.   Once those pieces were together I sprayed the tag with bronze colored texture spray.  I also sprayed a flower I found in my ribbon drawer. 

The word “BALLOONS” is from the Steampunked Machines collage sheet and has a touch of the same ink on it as the tag.  The blue ink from the balloon was added to the torn edges.  A few Dew Drops and some fibers from my embellishment collection finishes it off.  And as the Fifth Dimension sings, “Up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon!

See you next time!!  If you're looking for more fun and inspiration, be sure to check out both the Altered Pages and Leaky Shed Studio blogs.  And while you're at it, check out Robin's Birdhouse, too!!

Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…