Wednesday, July 30, 2014

SteamPunk Book Covers

Hi Everyone it's Danie back again.

As you know we have been playing with Chipboard from the Leaky Shed Studio all this month which is just so versatile to use in an array of projects.  This month I have used them in my journal, on a mixed media canvas and now my project today. And throughout July you no doubt have seen all the other beautiful work by my fellow team mates along with the Leaky Shed Designers.

Altered Pages sells 6 x 6 Black Mat Board Pieces which are the perfect weight and size to to make some book or album covers with.  An Idea was sparked!

I rummaged through my box of Altered Pages Goodness and pulled out some other things I thought I might use.

After punching some holes in my mat board for two rings to hold my book together I started covering the front of the mat board with some torn pieces of Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells Papers and some Embossed Cardstock such as the Two Scoops for some subtle texture.  My papers have given me a theme to work towards.  That's right I am playing with Steampunk.  A genre I don't normally do but the wonderful work created by my team mates here at Altered Pages had inspired me to give it a go.

So with my paper now adhered to my mat board, next I took my Dylusions Spray Inks in After Midnight (Purple) and Black Marble and squirted some randomly in spots across my papers.  I used my fingers and a baby wipe to smear this color around all over the board.  Next again using my finger I randomly blended into this color some gesso to lighten some areas.

A closer look at the front cover
 The lighter areas is where I added some Gesso

Once this was dry I took my Tangerine Gelato and blended this and some Metallic Rub On across my covers as I wanted to achieve a bit of a rusted look in places.

A close up of the back cover and where I have used both
Tangerine Gelato and Luster Rub On to give a rusted look

I used the same Spray Inks, Gelato and Luster Rub On's to add color to my chosen chipboard pieces from the Leaky Shed - Gear Set (6pc) and Hot Air Balloon #2.

I played around with where I was going to place everything and eventually happy stuck them down using some Gel Medium.  For my back cover I simply repeated the above process and used up the left over pieces of chipboard gears.

To add some fuss and fancy to my rings holding my book together and that side of my covers I took some bronze/gold braid and then some Havana Brown Seam Binding and Blue Tulle (left over from a Glitz Trims Collection).  Lastly I took some brown Dew Drops and added them to the hot air balloon on the front cover.

Close of up the balloon and the three Dew Drops

I have some plain white pages cut and punched ready to insert between my Steampunk Covers as I think I may just use them to sample more Steam Punk ideas and Techniques as I step out of my comfort zone but I haven't fully decided on that yet.  If not I have a set of Leaky Shed Watch Parts and some more Graphic 45 Steam Punk Spells Papers I could decorate them with and turn it into a mini album to house some photos.

Until next time Happy Creating.

Danie xx


  1. Great job Danie!!! Love the colors!!!

  2. This is wonderful! Love the finished cover!

  3. Great book cover, Danie! Love the colors and texture.

  4. WHAT A WORK OF ART! the colors are unexpected and wonderful. TFS

  5. Great steampunk cover! Say good bye to the comfort zone!

  6. quite beautiful. great explanation as well. xo

  7. Awesome texture and colors on this sensational steampunk design, Danie! Such pretty ribbons and braid on the binding!

  8. Super album covers and what better theme :) So glad you showed off your steamy side Danie! It's lovely!!
    I'll bet those rub-on's make is shimmer beautifully in person!

    TFS :)

  9. Absolutely beautiful, Danie. I love the colors and all the dimension that the chipboard gives the book cover. It is awesome.

  10. This is very cool... love the colours..
    Laura D.