After seeing all the FAN-TAS-TIC blocks being created I have to admit I was intimidated! We all know that thing called inspiration, well it came went over the last week until I found two pieces of ephemera in my stash.
I knew I had Glitz 8x8 paper pad Sunshine in my Soul and the colors were a perfect match! Voila, the idea was born.
I did learn that while the blocks are 3x3 inches square, it is a good idea to cut the papers at 2 7/8 inches to get a clean edge for the folds of the box.
Cutting and placing the papers should have your direct attention. If not you could wind up with patterns upside down or on the wrong squares. Cut EACH square individually, I found it worked better for me than wrapping the papers due to the folds of the boxes.
I used Nori Paste to adhere the papers to the box. I used one paper for the sides and another for the top and bottom, both Glitz.
I wanted the block to have height and feet. I had a wooden finial from my stash (I paint FUNKY chairs and have things like finials and beads that I add to them) and made feet from our Wooden Hearts. I was going to paint them with acrylic paint but had my Maya Mist Charcoal Spray Ink handy and used that instead. It gave the exact matte finish I wanted! AND it was not absorbed too much into the wood, easy squeezy!
Next comes the assembling and embellishing. I used double side tape to attach the block tabs. Laying the block flat on the workspace helps to rub the tape in place once you remove the protective film from each tab. AGAIN, remember which side is up or down in case you want your box to be opened. I used Dimensional Adhesives to adhere the metal plates to two sides of the block.
Since I was using bird accents, I also glued twill ribbon with stately bees on it. I felt this did two things, added visual & textural interest and supported the structure of the block. I also used my Delicata Ink Pad Gold Glitz, from Tsukineko, to touch up the folds on the box and on the finial and feet for a little pizzazz. I added the 'feet' with Aleen's glue allowing them to dry overnight. AND THEN the crowning touch of the wood final for my Birds & Bees Block. I ruffled a few more feathers too!
As a little surprise upon opening the block, I filled it with feathers just in case a birdie wanted to nest!
I may use Duo adhesive and some gold Leafing to the finial and random spots of it on the block, I'm undecided on that so far.
Hoping you enjoyed this project.
See more on Thursday at...