Skip to main content

Fun with Art Anthology Sorbet Acrylics

Hey there, Barbara here with an extra project to share with you this month.  For this post, I wanted to share some tips and techniques using a new product at Altered Pages called Art Anthology Sorbet dimensional acrylics.   I started out with a blank manila tag, but I could not stop at just showing you the techniques on the tag.  I had to finish it, and here is the result.


Supplies:

AP 467 Mystic Asian collage sheet
Vintage Text Pages
Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Paint:  Kenyan Copper, Blue Eyes, Mint Julep, Kona,
Red Velvet, Orchid
Blue/green cardstock (8" x 9-/4")
Distress ink:  Vintage Photo
Punches:  Hydrangeas, Mini Butterflies, Sakura (Martha Stewart)

Brush a coat of Kenyan Copper over tag and let dry.  The little flecks you see in the photo are glitter.  (TIP:  I found that dampening my brush with a bit of water allowed me to brush on a smoother coat.)
Fussy cut geisha angel and adhere to tag.  (TIP:  A good PVA glue works really well for adhering your collage images without wrinkling your paper.  I like to use a paint brush to get complete coverage.  Then I use a bone folder to rub it down really well, and wipe up any excess glue that oozes out from beneath the image.)  
Tape both your tag and stencil down with a piece of removable tape.
With a palette knife, apply a coat of Blue Eyes through the corner design on the stencil.  Clean your stencil and palette knife with water right away.  I was amazed at how quickly this acrylic dried.  This is good for those of us who like to move on with our project.  Nothing is more boring than "waiting for paint to dry".  
I just had to share a pic of the paint in the jar.  It is very creamy and thick, which allows it to maintain some dimension when applied through a stencil, or just smeared on thickly.  
(TIP:  You can use a paint shaper or Brushstix to clean up any paint seepage.  It works great.)
Apply Mint Julep through diamonds part of stencil with a palette knife and let paint dry.
Now, this is a bit bright for my taste, so I wanted to see if I could tone it down by brushing Kona all over the tag.  For this photo, I only brushed it onto the left side, the bottom, and most of my collage image. I wanted to leave some untouched so you could see the difference.  The photo does not show it really well, but the orange color is brighter on the upper right, and the geisha's wings on the right are much "whiter".
Because this paint is translucent, the image still shows through, as does the previous color underneath.  It reminds me of Tim Holtz' distress inks, only in acrylic form, and unlike distress inks, can be applied dimensionally.  I love this product and all the colors.  This photo shows the tag completely covered with the Kona.
 I wanted to try another technique that I've done before with regular acrylic paints.  So, I applied a thicker coat of Orchid and Red Velvet to a piece of release paper with a palette knife and let it dry.  This took much longer than the previous layer applied through the stencil.  I ended up carefully using a heat gun to speed up the drying time.  Be careful not to bubble the paint.

Next, I peeled the paint up from the release paper.

Then I used a couple of small punches to punch out some butterflies and flowers.
In the photos, you can see the translucence of this paint, as the printing on the paper shows through.  It shows through the Orchid a bit more because it is a lighter color.

I was not thrilled with my color choices at first, but as I worked on it, I began to see myself in my work again.  I also realized that the Orchid flowers were not going to work with this project, so I opted to save them for another project and went for the deep, rich color of the Red Velvet.  Before proceeding, though, I needed to set the scene for them.

So, trim blue/green cardstock to 8" x 9-1/4", score and fold in half to make a tall card that fits into a #10 size envelope.  Trim vintage text to 3-3/4" x 8" and adhere to card front.  (Don't forget to distress the edges with Vintage Photo distress ink, including the tag.)
Adhere tag to card front.
Spritz 18" piece of seam binding ribbon with water.  Paint ribbon with a wash of Red Velvet, let dry.
Tie into a double bow and adhere to top of tag.  The paint actually stiffens the ribbon a bit and gives it some body, which helps it hold its shape.
 Punch an equal number of vintage text butterflies and flowers to adhere beneath each of your paint pieces.  Here, you can see the text beneath the butterflies.
 Here, I have offset the text pieces with the painted pieces.  To finish off the flowers, I also added chocolate dew drops from The Robin's Nest.
 Thanks for hanging in there with me on this new paint adventure of mine.  I discovered a lot fun things to do with Art Anthology Sorbet Acrylics.  I hope I have inspired you to give this awesome paint a try in your own creations.

Be sure to visit Altered Pages for all of your art supplies, and The Robin's Nest (our cross promoter this month) for their papers and, of course, those wonderful dew drops.  Many thanks to them for providing us with such fun products to work, I mean play, with.

Have a wonderful, creative weekend!

Barbara
Black Hole Art Studio

Comments

  1. Such a great introduction for me to the Art Anthology Products Barbara, I love the wonderful dimension of the Sorbet paints you used on your tag. Is release paper like a baking paper/greaseproof paper???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These sheets are actually the release paper from my Xyron, but freezer paper would work, too.

      Delete
  2. Really pretty! Those paints are kind-of translucent! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, YOU create the most beautiful art! Great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Tag! I love the red you added!

    ReplyDelete
  5. STUNNING! SOo much detail, love your colors, awesome techniques!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! And what a great tutorial. Thank you so much. I'm going to have to try this product. Anne,yourmainetmper

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful piece of art. Thanks for the introduction to a new product!! I absolutely love your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Barbara! I love your nifty technique for the flowers and butterflies! I haven't had a chance to play with that paint yet but it's on my list of must have's thanks to you :) (and that's a good thing - lol!!).

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q