Skip to main content

A Cheerful Palette!

Aloha, it's Gia here. Today I am sharing a 6 x 6 mixed media piece I did with a cheerful little palette of brightly colored Dylusions ink spray colors. Did you know that Altered Pages carries fifteen, yes ONE FIVE colors of dylusions inks in delicious colors like Cut Grass, Funky Fuchsia, and Calypso Teal? I would hurry as these popular products tend to sell out quickly....wait where did you go? Oh, you are headed to Altered Pages now? That's awesome- but at least come back so I can tell you about the versatile Dylusions stamps I also got to try out!

 So, I started with cold pressed watercolor paper because I like to work with this texture and weight of paper even when not using watercolors. I masked off the area to be inked with painters tape and coated it with gesso first. I then randomly layered colors on alternating with gesso and drying in between with a heat tool until I was satisfied with my background.  



As a final background layer I used my Mayan Calendar 6 x 6 stencil to spray a layer of the Bubblegum pink over the top after putting a thin coat of gel medium on with a brayer to give it the stucco appearance. I also used some stamps with Versamark ink and embossing  powder in blue and gold to add even more texture and pattern not to mention energy to the piece.





I used black ink to stamp my houses onto plain coffee filters. You could use any semi translucent paper and it would have the same effect- vellum, tracing paper, or even silk or organza. The reason I chose plain old coffee filter is because it is a material that is very suited for stamping and unlike vellum does not require embossing or special ink.


Sometimes, happy accidents happen and are a chance to learn something new! Since my coffee filter houses were somewhat delicate I decided to adhere them with a light liquid adhesive and when I did, it activated some of the inks in the background that were previously dry. The green you are seeing, for example showing through the house decided to pop up. It was unintended, but in the end- I liked it! In the future, f you want to make sure that doesn't happen, be sure to seal your inked backgrounds before adding any further liquids !

Thanks for spending some time with me on the blog today for a little art for art's sake! 

Comments

  1. This is SO awesome Gia! I've got to get those stamps & a couple more colors in the sprays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love House and yours are Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for sharing how you did this--i will have to give it a try! its beautiful! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q