Skip to main content

Steampunk Washer Necklaces with German Scrap

Happy Friday!! Today I am sharing several of my FAVORITE things with you : Washers, Steampunk and German Scrap!!! If you follow my personal blog, you will already know that I adore all things circle! Washers, being circular, almost send out a beacon attracting me to them. I started playing with washers several years ago, constructing all sorts of decorative elements with them including ornaments, bracelets and necklaces. 


When I saw this New Steampunk Machines Collage sheet at Altered Pages I knew that would make terrific necklaces.



The Process
  1. I began by gluing text paper from loose book pages to the backs of my washers with Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer. Once this side dried, I trimmed out the washers and sanded the edges with emery boards and a small file. 
  2. I then trimmed out the images closely from the collage sheet that I wanted to use to make sure they were wide enough for the bigger washers because those would be glued on so that the image is on top. I applied Crystal Lacquer to the top of the washer and pressed the images down. Once they were dry, I trimmed them out, and filed the edges as described above.
  3. I applied Walnut Paris Trunk ink to both sides of the washer using my finger to get around the hole to "hide" the white.
  4. I attached pieces of German Scrap to the edges with Crystal Lacquer--this exquisite intricate cut scrap is a perfect accent to steampunk items.
  5. Crystal Lacquer was then pooled onto the top of the washer--making sure it did not run over. You could work on a piece of wax paper or a resistant mat if you were afraid of gluing your washer to your work surface. In about an hour, drying by a fan, the washers were able to be handled. I let them dry completely before attaching the ribbons. 
  6. For this project I choose a coffee colored sheer organdy and a ribbon yarn in autumn colors to match the colors of the steampunk machines!
Alteredpages.com has tons of collage sheets and embellishments to enhance your steampunk project! I hope you enjoyed my washer necklaces as much as I enjoyed making them! Thank you for stopping by!


 ~leslierahye

Comments

  1. OH MY GOD! I love these! I am going out to buy crystal laquer right now! Thanks so much for posting this tutorial! yes, that is a lot of exclamation points !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the idea using the washer. It's a perfect weight for a pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so digging - remember that term? - these washer necklaces! I love when you can take something humble and turn it into something fabulous! I want to make some but where oh where did I put these?....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q