Skip to main content

Artist Spackle Image Transfer Technique

I don't know if you have seen one of the newer products offered at Altered Pages - Artist Spackle - or not but I have to tell you I am in love with it.


It says on the jar that it's great "for structural, dimensional, and textural applications" and can also mixed with various color mediums and be thinned for other applications.

Personally I find it to be a really interesting texture medium that is almost like a sticky dry frosting.  I know, that doesn't make any sense at all but seriously, that's what it feels like when you start playing with it.  It's like sticky frosting when you first pick it up and try to spread it but it's not a wet sticky, it's a dry sticky.  So far I've only used my fingers to spread it out because I think they are the best tools for some jobs.  I initially used it for my Steampunk Shadow Box Kit.  The entire outside of the box was covered with it then painted using a bit of Maya Mist.  It was lots of fun because the texture it created was amazing.


Well, I thought it would be fun to try using it for Image Transfers and here's how they came out.....

(Note - you can find complete instructions for this image transfer technique on my blog...Artist Spackle Image Transfer Technique - Ink Stains.  I started out with the directions here but my post was becoming WAY too long so I figured I'd show you the results and if you were interested in more you could hop on over and check out the actual technique.) 

These first two were made using Altered Pages Collage Images that I printed off myself using my ink jet printer...  You'll notice that it did transfer the images but it was very fuzzy and without any real detail.  Hmmmm would be cool for some applications but not a really great transfer for general use.


So then I tried transfers using the laser printed images directly from Altered Pages and check out these results....  I finished each of these images off with a different application which is explained below.  I think they turned out really great!

NOTE: All of these images come from the Mini Images Travel AP573 collage sheet.


For this first example I spread the Artist Spackle onto an ATC blank, pressed the image into the spackle and let it dry.  I then removed the paper, added a bit more spackle around the edges then tinted it with Antique Copper Patina Maya Mist.  I love how it makes the spackle look like leather or suede.  Every nook and cranny created with the AS is highlighted by the mist.


For the next two examples I spread the AS onto a piece of white cardstock, pressed the images into the spackle and finished off the images as you normally would.  I finished off this image using a combination of the Copper 3D Mixers Mica and Crackle Accents which I painted over the spackle and let dry.  It was difficult to get a clear image of the cracks because of all the shimmer of the Mixers but you can still see some of them.

You will notice that there are two white areas near the center of this image...that is where there were air pockets when I pressed the image into the spackle.   I personally don't mind these missing areas because it's one of the quirks of Image Transfer techniques.  But if you want a more complete image be sure to burnish your image so the entire image is in contact with the spackle.


Finally the last image I just tore it from the cardstock and left it as is....again, there are a couple small spots that didn't transfer but I think this would make a super beachy embellishment for a scrapbook, card, ATC, Gothic Arch or whatever project you might have in mind.


So, there you go...
A fun new Image Transfer technique to try when you get a chance.

Have a super week....

Ink Stained Roni :)

Comments

  1. very cool! I am going to have to try this!! Thanks for posting it. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Roni! I love image transfer and can't wait to try this as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the speckly look on the beach with the palm trees one - looks like blowing sand. Love the copper mica and crackle together. Hmmm.. might have to try something like that on one of my gelli prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beach scene is my favorite from the photos but I can imagine how rich the others are in person. Then again, any beach is wonderful in mind estimation! Great experimenting and bravery in taking an unusual approach ot ordinary supplies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q