Skip to main content

A Little Quirky Fun with an AP Collage Sheet!

Hi there! 
Becky Voth here today to share this quirky collage I did using the "Laying Down on the Job" collage sheet from Altered Pages
{Beware, images contain some nudity!}
I started off w/an 9x12 piece of hardboard (like masonite). You can get these at hobby stores & art stores pre-cut in various sizes or even go to the hardware store & have them cut a sheet down for you!
The hardboard I bought was not primed, so I gesso'd & messed up the background with a little blue, black & white acrylic paints once the gesso dried. The key here it so just be free & messy with your paints until you achieve the look you want. The greatest thing about acrylic paints is that if you don't like it, simply paint over it!
 
 Then I sketched the poppy shapes onto some acrylic paper (you can buy pads at the hobby stores, but really any mixed media, heavy paper will do.) & painted them with a mixture of red, orange & peach acrylic paints. In hindsight, I wish I would have just painted the entire page & then sketched the shapes onto the back. Would have been easier than trying to stay in the lines! HA! If you are not a sketcher, find an image online to trace or use one of the many fabulous flower collage sheets at AP! There are some STUNNING photographed sheets in the floral collection!
 
Then I fussy-cut the ladies from my collage sheet...
I didn't take pictures as I went along here, but next I cut out my flowers when they were dry. For the larger flowers, I cut the "petals" in half so that I could place the ladies inside the flowers. I adhered the girls into the flowers first & then to my board with Mod Podge - remember, it dries clear, so don't worry if you put too much outside the edges of the flowers because you want to be sure they are really stuck on there! From there I painted the stems on.
When it was all dry, I used a black Sharpie to draw in the details & a warm grey pen to do some shadowing here & there. Lastly, I used a white Sharpie paint pen to add some highlights.

When all that fussy work was done, I REALLY messed it up by adding all sorts of texture! I used bubble wrap & pieces of punchinella {a piece of plastic-y stuff with little holes in it} to dot on some cream & peach paints. 
 Then I took a script rolling stamp in black paint & rolled it here & there.  You could easily use ANY of the border stamps in the shop to accomplish this too! {You might be able to see that if you click on the photo to enlarge it.}
Lastly, I sealed the whole thing with some semi-gloss gel medium. I will probably go back & varnish it before I sell it.

 That's it!
I hope you enjoyed looking at my "Poppin' Poppies!
Have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. I love this! What a great way to use the images and I love how they're lounging on those poppies you made. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis, You Know I love this! So clever and fun use of those sexy images! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that?? It reminds me of the photos, somebody used to photograph naked Barbies in martini glasses . . . can't remember his name, but they were pretty amusing pics!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever! Love the images with the flowers! Poppies are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your Poppies ! What a crative piece you have created ..... & sexy !!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q