Skip to main content

No Butterflies Mixed Media Tag with Stencil 1

Hello everyone!  I have a special extra posting for you today, and I get to play with a beautiful stencil from our April Sponsor ...

Yes, Stencil 1 makes some really fabulous stencils, not only individually, but also in sets.  I hope you will visit them and check out what they offer.

Stencils are so much fun and quite addictive.  Today, I want to share a quick and easy project using a postcard tag, stencils, paints, and inks.
I chose this postcard tag from Altered Pages and my Stencil 1 butterfly stencil.
Tear strips of paper and adhere to the back (blank side) of the tag with gel medium, let dry.
Add a wash of white gesso over the tag to tie the background together.
Spread Orchid Velvet Art Anthology dimensional paint with a spatula through the open butterfly stencil.  Let dry.

Can you see the dimension in this photo?  
Sponge white gesso through detail stencil and let dry.


Apply light blue oil pastel through the detail stencil and smudge over the butterfly with your finger.
Use a water brush to pick up color from the Mica Paint Palette and make washes of beautiful color.  Use an ultra fine mist sprayer to wet the tag and help the colors move and run, and use a heat tool to dry as you add more and more colors until you like the background.
Add stunning details to the image by applying a black Faber-Castell Big Brush Pen through the detail stencil and rub gently with your finger to spread the color before the pen ink dries.  This makes the color look less like pen work and more like a blended detail.



Here is a close up of the butterflies.  Notice the bubbles on them?  This was actually a happy accident, which occurred while I was drying the mica paints.  I liked it so much that I continued to make the Art Anthology paint bubble more for a fabulous effect.  What do you think?
Add black ink around the edges of the tag to frame the piece.
On a scrap piece of chipboard, stamp the phrase using a StazOn Black Ink Pad.  Cut the image in half, inking all edges of each piece with black ink, and adhere to the tag.  Add some jute string to the tag hole and you are done.


Altered Pages supplies used:
Postcard Tags
G45 Artisan Style 6x6 paper pad
StazOn Black Ink Pad
gel medium
white gesso
Mica Paint Palettes
Waterbrushes
Niji Oil Pastels
Art Anthology Dimensional Acrylic paints (Orchid Velvet)
Faber-Castell Big Brush Pen  (Black)
Ultra Fine Mist Sprayer

Other supplies used:
Stencil 1 butterfly stencil
Jute string
Chipboard scrap
Spatula
Sponge

I hope I have left you with a bit of inspiration to play with stencils, paints and inks, and Altered Pages has lots of fun supplies for you in the store.  I will be back on Monday to share some more ideas with my butterfly stencils, and in the meantime, stop by the Altered Pages blog to see what the team is creating!

Have a wonderful creative weekend,
and make something you love!

Barbara

Comments

  1. Barbara- this is outstanding!! What a gorgeous postcard with tons of yummy texture! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about the tag. I spotted the bubbles before I got that far reading and wondered what you used! Beautiful butterflies and I love the saying♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you get tired of me writing how much I admire your work?!

    Do you dry brush your gesso on or water a little down to get your wash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Tristan, that is so nice, and I admire your work so much. Coming from you it means an awful lot! Most of the time, I will water my gesso down if I want to lightly cover my background. If I want to just highlight something, like perhaps something dimensional, I will dry brush it. Very good question, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Oh, BTW, I never get tired of compliments. LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow, Barbara, your tag is absolutely gorgeous. Your butterflies just came to life - and I enjoyed your step-by-step. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, this is simply stunning, thanks for the lesson on layering!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q