Skip to main content

Santa domino book

Hello, I hope you are enjoying the season! Today I have a fun project for you. A Santa theme domino book.


Supplies you will need:
Dominos - you can use any size, wood, plastic, ivory, whatever.
Collage images 3002 Santa Place cards - scaled them down to fit my domino.
Lace
Adhesive
German Scrap - Dresden
Acrylic paint
Scrapbook paper
Stickles
Embellishments
Sealant
Alcohol ink and rubbing alcohol

Here are my papers, lace, dominos and scaled down collage images.
 Drop on the alcohol inks in a random pattern. You can use acrylic paint for this as well. I dried the ink and then, using a dab of rubbing alcohol on a tissue, I blotted the pattern down a bit to give it a more marbled look and lighten up the colors.
Using watered down black and white gloss acrylic, I use a splatter technique to add some interest to my ink pattern.  Once dry, I spray with acrylic sealer.
I mark the length of the domino on to my paper, then I cut a strip that width.
Just showing you what the opposite side of the paper and domino look like. I will be attaching the paper to this unfinished side of the domino so it does not need to be pretty.
Place the paper on the domino and fold where you want your page size to be.
Make a fold in the paper. Now you have to decide how many pages you want. I had 2 images for the inside covers and then 4 images to put in the book for a total of 6 "pages".You must use only even numbers for the pages or your book will not go together properly. There are other ways to make these books but for this instance, even pages work the best.
Continue folding in a fan like manner until you reach the proper number of pages you will need.




When you have the number of pages you need, remove any excess paper.
I added some additional colored paper to my back page design, to give a bit more texture and interest.
I adhere my images to the pages, cutting off any excess.
On the back side, I glue my lace piece in the middle of the pages. Be sure you leave enough at each end to wrap around the book 2 times and tie.  About 9 - 12 inches on each side, is good.
Now, glue the unfinished side of the domino to the back side of the first page. This becomes your cover and inside cover page. It also sandwiches the lace between the paper and domino to secure it.
Here is what it looks like on the right side.
Attach the other domino in the same manner, to the last page.
Here I have added some German scrap to the edge of my front cover, as well as some miscellaneous embellishments to pretty up the cover.
Once dried, I added some glitter glue to the edges of my pages to give them some color. You could ink them as well. Once done, you wrap the lace around the book 2 times and tie into a bow to keep it closed.

There are many different ways to make these books. This is a simplified version and I like how quick and fun they are to do.  You can search for other ways, make these as big or small as you like, embellish them in so many ways and the themes you can use are endless. They make great gifts too!

Jen Rothstein
(Dog-Ma Studio)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q