Skip to main content

Steampunk Prima

Thank you Prima for being our product partner this month.  I am loving the Art Alchemy Acrylic Paints and the beautiful flowers. 

I love mixed media, layering, adding more, changing this and that.  Usually what I start with changes along the way, as it did with this project.  I was planning on using three Prima Flowers, used only one.  Was going to layer the three large hearts, used only one.  The stenciling was not in the original plan.  You get the idea.  The final mixed media project generally does not go as planned.
 

Prima Flower altered

 Prima Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint

Supplies:
Prima Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint:
  Metallique Dark Forest
  Metallique Soft Satin
  Sparks Dragon Eye
Prima Flowers
Altered Pages Collage - 2178 Feeling Mysterious
Canvas Art Board
Black Gesso
Steampunk Large Heart - Chipboard
Tacky Glue
Dixie Belle Swamp Mud
Stencil Diamonds/Harlequin
Gel Medium


Preparing for the project

Paint chipboard and canvas with black gesso.

For this project dark flowers were needed.  I took the beautiful white and cream Prima Flowers and colored them by adding black gesso to water and soaking the flowers in it.  Let them dry overnight.

I created an oversized image from the Altered Pages Collage sheet.  Rip the edges for effect.

Lightly spray paper image, apply gel medium to the canvas board and gently lay image.  Then apply gel medium over the image.  

With diamond stencil randomly apply Dixie Belle Swamp Mud. Set aside to dry.

Paint chip board gears with gesso.  Paint the centers of the flowers with Prima Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint Sparks Dragon Eye. 

Add a little of the Sparks Dragon Eye to the flower petals and the gears.  Paint the back heart with the Prima Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint Metallique Dark Forest, highlight with green. 

After the mud had dried, first paint with Prima Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint Metallique Soft Satin, repeat with Metallique Dark Forest.  Touch up with the black gesso until you have the desired effect.

Now it is time to assemble.  With tacky glue adhere the heart first,  then the Prima Flower, surround it with the gears and finally the key.

I am happy with the results... let me know what you think!


Hope you have been inspired to try your hand at a mixed media project!!




Popular posts from this blog

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)



Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stenci…

Rolling with my Gel Press

I love experimenting with different ways to create texture and interest on my Gel Press and for many years now I have turned to fun foam to help do this when monoprinting.  I love to team the fun foam with my dies to create my own stamps and texture plates.  I used this techniques for my prints in January that I shared here on the blog. There are lots of dies that have detail, meaning lots of scrap pieces which you can randomly stick onto cardboard giving you a stamp as well as using the actually die cut shape as a stamp.  Another idea is using them attached to a toilet roll to create a brayer like roller was shared at my local scrapbook store and on a video by Birgit Koopsen last year.  I love playing with this method. The toilet roll is slipped over a paint roller handle.


Here you can see some of my texture creations that I have on hand for my play today.

One texture I love is created using a piece of burlap ribbon, which I have stuck onto a toilet roll. My first layer above used th…

The Gift Card Card

Robin here and today I have a project for you that is a fun way to give gift cards or cash.  

You will need two envelopes for this project.  One is what the post office calls the 6 1/4 Commercial envelope.  When I was growing up we just called it a letter envelope.  It's a smaller rectangle than the #10, being just 3 5/8" x 6 1/4".  The other is a standard A6.  I chose the A6 because it fits inside the letter envelope when it's folded in half and it's also large enough to hold a check or cash, as well as a gift card.



With the flap against the body of the envelope, fold it in half from side to side.  Cut the flap in half and trim the inside cuts at an angle so that they don't interfere with the fold or get bunched up. 



Decorate the flap side of your envelope.  This will be the inside of your card.  Fold the envelope again and decorate the side that will be the front of your card.





Cut a panel of card stock to fit inside the 6 1/4 Commercial (letter) envelope.  Att…