Skip to main content

Patriotism ... with a shot of whimsy

Hello again!  I had a lot of fun with this Foundations Decor project this month.  Or should I say we had fun...Uncle Sam and me!

Altered Pages and Foundations Decor are partnering this month to bring you some fun with their wonderful wooden projects.  We've already seen some really beautiful projects.  I hope you enjoy this one, too.

The Uncle Sam kit comes with a main shape and additional pieces to enhance his beard, mustache and hat.



I happen to have inexpensive bottles of acrylic paint in my craft studio so I applied a layer of gesso and then painted Uncle's face and hat.  I held the beard up to the painted base to judge where his mouth would be.  I added a little pink to the flesh tone to paint the lips that will barely show through.




At this point, I had to decide about mustache placement.  Do I keep the mustache low and paint eyes or raise it up so it looks like the hat is covering them.  I decided the my Uncle looks super cute with the hat down to his beard so that's the look I went with.  But you could easily move the mustache down and use google eyes or paint them in.



And what about that beard and mustache?  I wanted my Uncle to have a lot of texture.  I had just bought a package of white roses from Altered Pages and hadn't put them away yet.  I looked down and got a nifty idea!  I took two of them apart, cut out the petals and made Uncle a fluffy beard!



To embellish Uncle's hat, I chose a red 12" Bazzill border edge. This one even has a polka dot pattern on it for added texture.



Gold acrylic paint has a tendency to show streaks.  Even after two coats brushed on in different directions I wasn't happy with the gold star.  I sponged another layer of paint which gave me great coverage but left a hit of air bubbles.  It's all texture right?  No problem!  But that wasn't enough.  To make his gold star fancy, I used gold stickers trimmed to fit and a gold Dew Drop in the middle.



And here he is.  I love him!  He's going right on my desk at work until Independence Day.



Thanks for stopping by.  Come on back anytime and see what fun inspirations our Design Team has to share!



Supplies Used:
Foundations Decor Uncle Sam
Little Birdie paper roses
Bazzill 12" scrapbook border 
Glam Gold stickers
Dew Drops
Multi-surface Glue
Acrylic paints







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q