Skip to main content

Packing Tape Postcards

Today I wanted to play with the technique of image transfers using packing tape in my Dylusions journal......I had a blue page spread I had created some time ago using my gelatos, paint and stencils and it was time to add further to this page.



I decided to use some images both from an Altered Pages Collage Sheet and some of my own photos from the beach for it.  I then had the idea of creating some aged looking postcards as if on holiday at the beach.





I started by creating my postcard backgrounds.


 I started with a blue gelato and a little gesso.



I simply scribbled the blue gelato over my background pieces.


 I then painted over my scribble with a wet brush.

 A small amount of Gesso was then brayered across the wet gelato.



Removing the spray nozzle from the Dylusions Spray Ink I sprinkled a little bit of color over the background and brayered.

Then it came time to work with my images.

I picked out an image from the Girls of Summer Collage Sheet and printed out the collage sheet on my ink jet printer.



I could have simply pasted this on to my post card but I wanted it to be more blended into the background I had created so I got out the Packing Tape and stuck this across the image to transfer this onto the background.



After ensuring the tape was stuck down to the image smoothly I turned the image over and with a paint brush applied water to the back allowing a few moments for this to soak in before beginning to gently rub off the paper to reveal the image and color.





Keep rubbing until you are happy with the image transparency and shape as the rubbing causes the edges to fray so to speak.




Turning the image over I then used Gel Medium to stick my image down on the postcard background and added further details such as wording using stamps and Staz On Ink which works on non porous surfaces such as the tape.  I added further color to the edges of my post card using ink and finished by sealing it with a coat of Gel Medium.  After it dried it was ready to place in my journal.





As mentioned early I also added a transfer postcard using one of my photos from a day at the beach and I used this on the other page of my journal.  The photo was also printed out on plain copy paper with my ink jet printer.  I mounted it to my postcard background but decided to cut roughly around the edges.  This technique also works well on canvas which you can display on your walls etc.







 Supplies List:

Collage Images/Photos - Girls of Summer Collage Sheet from Altered Pages
Gelatos - Blue
Dylusions Spray Inks - Chocolate and Lime
Gesso
Gel Medium
Packing Tape
Base Cardstock cut to 4 x 6  inch Postcard Size
Dylusions Journal (pages were previously created with stencils, paint and Gelatos)
Stamps with desired wording and complimentary elements to theme.




Comments

  1. I have to try this technique! Lovely project. I want to go to the beach now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me! I tried this a couple of years back. Time to do it again. Your postcards are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danie, this is so wonderful and your choices of images are perfect! Thanks for sharing your project with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q