Skip to main content

"Dragonfly Dreams" Card Front

Here in Central Texas, as the Blue Bonnets bloom and warm breezes blow in the soft sounds of Spring, I await the loopy flight of dragonflies.
 
 


Until then I will create my own, with this lovely set:
Muse Dragonfly Rubber Stamp SetI am going to use similar techniques I employ for my Art Journaling each day. My goal is to play each day. So just play and allow your instinctive creativity to set the pace and show you where to place your mark.

Art Journaling is a wonderful practice with lots of media preferences.  Use your imagination... no limits on what to use or how to use it! 

My ingredient list:
Muse Dragonfly Rubber Stamp Set 
Acrylic Block for Rubber Stamps  
Splash Ink 
Water Brushes 
Paint Pots with Lids   
Stazon Ink 
Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Acrylic Paint 
Gelatos 
Medium Textural Accents 
Stencil 
Wink of Stella Pens 
Assorted Pens 
Oil Pastels 
Stickles 
Unusual Paper for Layering 
Cardstock for Layering  
Spatulas 
Pipettes 
Scissors    
Watercolor Paper

I have become a huge fan of the Splash Inks. Using just the four bottles you can create over 100 color recipes. With the Pipettes and the Paint Pots with Lids you can create a few hues to suit your project.       



  
I took the pipette or the Water Brushes to create drips or washes or splatters on my watercolor paper.


I had fun with it.  Let some areas dry and dripped back over it or dropped water to disperse the color. Loose and free was the technique.

Then the dragonfly stamp was inked with Stazon Ink and pressed to the watercolored paper. I used extra ink to watercolor in the wings.      


Covered the dragonfly with a thin coat of the Glaze from the Medium Textural Accents and set aside to dry.




You can see I've stamped on my project with the Pond and Dreams word stamps from this set. Use any medium you wish.



Next I wanted some more texture. A stencil and some Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Acrylic Paint gave me just the shine and aesthetic I was after. If you scrape a thin layer through the Stencil with one of the Spatulas -it allows the background to show.  
   


I used Gelatos and Wink of Stella Pens and anything else from my stash on the torn edges or on the watercolored portions too. Oil Pastels are great to add atop the other mediums for some added tone and depth. 
Finally I layered my watercolored piece upon some cardstock and an unusual piece of brown paper in my stash. AlteredPages has a great assortment of one-of-a-kind papers to utilize.   

Here is the card front; ready for a graduate, a birthday celebration, a thank you, or even the focal point for a journal:




I so appreciate the time you took to follow my creative journey. Please let us know you were here and what you thought of the process.

Check back with us each day for more creative awesomeness from this great Design Team.
Ciao for now,
-Trish Alger
justchickenscratch.com




Comments

  1. TREMENDOUS, ALL THE TEXTURES ARE FABULUS. I would hang this as a canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is miraculous, I love it! thanks for sharing your technique. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q