Skip to main content

Christmas Tree with a Sputnik feel

Good Morning Everyone!   Jean here.

Where has time gone?  We all keep asking the question.  Do you remember being a kid and the time went agonizingly slowly during December?

Not anymore, seems like I just washed the Thanksgiving dishes and we are opening the Christmas gifts!  

I was alive in the late 50's so I have a treasure trove of memories.  Things like the aluminum Christmas tree complete with the rotating light and making Sputnik* ornaments from foam balls and toothpicks with glitter or paint. (*Russian Sputnik satellites sent into orbit during the late 1950s. Literally "fellow wanderer" in Russian)  Those red cellophane wreaths (anyone remember??!!) and train displays under the tree.   My In-laws actually waited until the (5) kids went to bed on Christmas Eve to put up the tree, do a full blown train display platform and assemble gifts! They must have had far more energy than me!!



That crazy Sputnik inspired me to create the Sputnik Christmas tree using Activa FastMache. I modified it a bit as artists are allowed to do!!!  When working with FastMache, as with all mache type products, make sure to allow drying time.  This is not an instant process.  When the item feels cool or cold, or heavy it is still wet inside.  You will see how light and dry it feels when it is ready.   FastMache was easy to use and the instructions were so simple.   I might make it a bit moister next time to be able to get a thinner profile.   

In blog part one, I formed the tree...  The tree stands approximately 15 inches tall.  Keep in mind that papermache products do shrink a bit as they dry.  



Now it's time to sand and then decorate.   

First I formed balls of FastMache, about the same size as a large gumball.  I made them all and then went back and used my skewer to create a hole in each ball. Allow to dry.  I left them overnight and then placed them in the warm oven after I baked something.




While they dried, I used a combination of sandpaper and a Dremel tool to sand the tree, but sandpaper works just fine.    



I covered the tree with our wonderful and oh so useful FOIL SHEETS.   



Then I used Art Anthology Trolley Grey PAINT which allowed some of the foil to show thru, making it look like a weathered sputnik!!!




Now for the sputnik orbs. What fun I had!  I did not need to sand these as they will be covered in GLITTERS.  
DO NOT glue the sticks onto the sputnik type orbs yet.




I used small holiday plastic cups to hold my GLUE and glitters, so easy!  Not sure about you but I wind with a half package of various cups all the time, so use them up throughout the year!    



Allow these to fully dry while you paint or mist the shorter sticks (skewers) to place through the holes on the tree.  I used E6000 due to its firm holding power for the sticks to hold solidly into the tree.   Then the childish giggles begin!  



As a last step I added the MINI MIRRORS for more reflection and sparkle.  
There you have it an OUT OF THIS WORLD Holiday tree of dubious origin!

Thanks for letting me play with FastMache from Activa Products and keep coming back for more projects from our talented Design Team.  








Comments

  1. Jean, that is the most original tree I have ever seen. High fives! Great use of product and kudos on the retro vibe. Where's my TV dinner and I'm set?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q