Skip to main content

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip  (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!)




Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it.
Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art.
As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you. 
Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and "Art Journal Stencils and Masks."
You can visit Dina at http://www.dinawakley.com



    

We asked Dina a few questions- 

Can you remember when you started creating art?

I've had creative interests since childhood. For the path I'm on now, though, I started scrapbooking in 1995. I discovered stamping in 1997. Stamping led to mixed media which led to art journaling. Art journaling is a natural fit for me because I've kept a regular personal journal since I was nine years old. I started art journaling in 2004.

What is your favorite tool for creating?  i.e.  paint, gesso, glue….

I love my Dina Wakley Media line! It seriously rocks. I can't live without gesso, heavy body acrylic paints, and brushes with a stiff bristle. I also love Neocolor II crayons and the Stabilo All pencil.

If you could use only one color in your art what would that color be?

I refuse to only use one color!!!  I will say if I could use only one type of color, it would be BRIGHTS!


 
*TIP*

Um, I'm not organized with my physical stuff. At all. My one good tip is that I don't keep every scrap. If you do that, you'll be overwhelmed by scraps and bits. I have ONE box in my studio that is my scrap box. When it gets too full, I throw half of it away. You really don't need to save every bit of everything. You won't use it.                           




Images above are copyrighted to Dina Wakely.  


USE THE BUTTONS BELOW TO SHARE US!





Comments

  1. Beautiful art, as always! Thanks for the reminder about scraps. I have bins and bins of them but I can't make myself throw them away. I need to get in there and be ruthless. You're right, I won't use most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a scrap horder too and when it gets too much I find a swap to where I can destash and share my extras. Love your colorful designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this tip!! I save scraps! I pick item out of clean trash and pick items up off of the streets♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview, but Dina.....your photo just made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the scrap reminder- I have a hard time throwing things away, too. Love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading all about Dina, and I love her work. Cannot wait to get my hands on your new books, as well as the DVDs. TFS your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo ! Great tip ... I've not quite mastered it but getting there ; When I finish a layout or any project ; since I make cards when I finish and have scraps I punch flowers and other shapes then throw away the remaining scraps !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing with us, Dina. Love the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post and I can so relate to the tip you have shared Dina thank you! I often have so many scraps piling up they can get a bit overwhelming but it is often at this point I will often go through them and look at what can be used for card fronts etc keep them and the tiny scraps use my punches etc to punch out shapes to donate with some of the larger pieces to the local kindy or friends that have kids. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oddly I had box loads of scrap once upon a time. Determined to be ruthless and clear most of it out I sent my husby off to the thrift shop. While he was in the back dropping it off I was shopping in front. One of the ladies who volunteers there rushed up and told me in excited tones that someone had just dropped off some wonderful designer cardstock scraps. Gesturing wildly she directed my attention. I sauntered over, curious to see the price they had given it. Three bucks for each box! A lady snagged one just as I bent over to read the price. So happy to see it going to a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT story! One woman's trash, another's treasure!

      Delete
  11. great interview Dina! The photo is perfect and made me giggle out loud!
    I love Dina's line and I agree with her about not one color! Yay for color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview. She's very inspiring and I love her art. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

    ReplyDelete
  13. ONE of the problems with scraps - I have bins of them but if I need one, do I know here to find it? NO.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be a scrap hoarder-I agree with her-you'll never use them all. I now only keep a certain size & up. Have a great way for storing them too-you'll have to wait till my next post to find out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Post It's very Nice.

    Wish to see much more like this. Thanks for sharing me this information.

    Pg caterers in Delhi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.