Skip to main content

Feature Artist Becky Voth!!!

Altered Pages is delighted to share the art of 

BECKY VOTH!


I am so pleased to have Becky as our Feature Artist.   She has always been very creative, it runs in the family with her Sister and Mom!   I saw her grow to become a fabulous canvas artist through her diligent practice and taking many classes.  I knew she would move on and that made me a bit sad, but her talents have to be shared and grow even more!   She remains a friend and I will always support her artful endeavors!   Proud to have made the connection, Becky!   We still have her kits on our website and they continue to sell to people who like Becky's creative process. ~ Jean


  
Hello All!

I am super excited to be a Feature Artist on Altered Pages today! Some of you may remember me as a Design Team member here on Altered Pages, but this past January, I decided to take my mixed media art to the next level with commission work, shows & teaching.

In the past year & a half, we moved from Denver, CO to a wonderful small town 30 miles south called Larkspur. It’s a quiet little “mountain” town without being all the way up in the mountains! I have thoroughly enjoyed having a big unfinished basement as my art studio & classroom, making new friends & living the small-town life! I have been happily married for almost 16 years with a wonderful 8 year-old daughter (The “Magpie,” in my biz name, The Laughing Magpie). They both bring so much happiness to my life! Besides creating on canvas, I enjoy spending time creating with two women’s art groups, nature & architectural photography, travel (going to Peru in June!), spending time with my family here, & recently becoming a Thirty-One Gifts consultant too! Life is full, fun & busy! But there is ALWAYS time for ART!

I am currently taking a year-long online course through Donna Downey Studios. I really enjoy taking online courses since you have the ability to watch the lessons over & over again while working. (I have no formal art training other than photography classes & find online learning a great alternative to driving 30+ miles to a college campus!) Here are a few of my journal pages from the first 12 weeks of the class:

She uses a lot of layers to achieve some beautiful textures & colors.
 

One layer of texture in the background here is joint tape from the hardware store!



This is one I am currently working on. A few fluid acrylics mixed with gesso, sprayed with water to drip & a few other layers on top of that!



The canvas in the back is a version of one of Donna’s classes that I’ve yet to finish. The tree canvas in the foreground I created using a script stencil, masking tape, 3 different glazes & a crackle stamp on the trees. Here’s a larger picture of that one:


This owl I created as the sample for a class I taught for a Sweet 16 birthday party.


I started by lightly drawing the tree shape on canvas with charcoal, then collaging bits of paper & stickers onto the tree. Then I added texture with paint & a few bottle cap circles. Then I drew in the shape of my owl before blending colors into the background using 2-3 colors in the same family & blending with gesso using my fingers. Then I painted in the owl using various brush techniques. Finally I outlined here & there with more charcoal.
 
Here is the one I created in class with my students:


This is another sample I created for a class…lots of layers & texture in this one! One thing I have learned this year from the online class is that joint compound works just as good as modeling paste for texture & is a heck of a lot cheaper! Simply spread it on with a palette knife let dry or stamp into it when wet! All sorts of fun texture to play with!

 
Lastly, I have been working on my first commissioned piece – a 48x48 mixed media canvas for a friend’s stairway landing…only a peek here because I don’t want her seeing it yet! It’s almost finished!


I started with the background – layers of fluid acrylic paints & some water to create drips in the sky. The flowers are actually paint on some 7 Gypsies printed tissue paper – you can see more of the writing on it in person – that I then tore into oval shapes & then layered to create the poppies.    That’s it for me today!

Thanks for stopping in & to see more of what I’m up to, please visit my blog at www.thelaughingmagpie.com & like me on FB!

Cheers!
 
 






Comments

  1. I really LOVE your work! You are one busy gal! I particularly like the large canvas piece. Interesting techniques. I, too, take a lot of online classes and find that I go back to lessons from time to time both for clarity in technique and for inspiration. Thanks for your post today. Anne, yourmainestamper

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see you here Becky sharing a little with us again. I love the insight to your creative processes for each of these beautiful pieces and am so pleased to hear you are keeping busy and making a success of things with your art. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to see you again Becky and it's so great of you to share your beautiful art work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How terrific to see you and your work again, Becky! You really are one of the grande dames of texture! Fun - and lovely - post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, love what you are doing....the large WIP is really my style and would love to have that one on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the owl canvases! Your art is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each one is a work of art... we are very fortunate to have Becky here with us this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Journal pages♥ I just got into Art Journals a couple of months ago and I like the joint tape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you back Becky. Great canvases! Love you work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is absolutely beautiful, Becky. So glad to see what your are doing nowadays. I can see you are quite busy with all of your classes and projects. Keep it up, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q