Skip to main content

Asian Springtime Card

Hey there, Barbara here with another project to share with you this month.  Since we all have been really looking forward to Spring, I could not resist making a lovely Spring card for you today.  Altered Pages has everything you need to make your own Spring creations, and more.  I also used some of those fabulous papers and dew drops from The Robin's Nest, our cross-promoter this month.  Here is the card I made for Spring!

Supplies:

AP 467 Mystic Asian collage sheet;
Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Paint:  June Bud, Coral
White Gesso (Ranger)
The Robin's Nest papers: Cream Watercolor Glitter; Robin's Egg Glitter, Lavender Watercolor Glitter, Kiwi Sorbet
The Robin's Nest dew drops:
Silhouette machine and cut design:  lattice frame
Mini punches:  flowers and leaves (Carl)
Distress Ink: Ripe Persimmon
Viva Decor Pearl paint pen

First, cut lattice frame from Lavender Watercolor Glitter card stock using Silhouette machine.  Size frame opening to fit the image, in this case, 3" x 4".   Trim image from collage sheet and adhere frame.

 Trim Robin's Egg Blue card stock to 5-¼" x 6-½", adhere frame and image.
 Make card from Cream Watercolor Glitter card stock cut to 6-¾" x 11-¼", fold in half, adhere blue layer to front.
 To make some little flowers to go with my Asian image, I first used this awesome new paint that Altered Pages is now carrying.  I am so in love with this paint.  It is called Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Paint and comes in many beautiful colors.   This paint is gorgeous, shimmery, translucent, and dimensional.  A few of the colors even contain glitter.  I wanted to add more color to my Cream Watercolor Glitter card stock to make my flowers and leaves pop.    So, I brushed on a light coat of the Coral, leaving some areas with more paint than others.  This gave me some color variations for my punched flowers and leaves.
Paint applied to right side of paper
 I colored Kiwi Sorbet Glitter card stock the same way using Art Anthology June Bug.
Paint applied to lower half of paper
 Do you remember these?  Before there were electronic cutting machines and Sizzix dies galore, there were hand held punches.  And yes, I still have my entire, vast collection of these little rarities.  And frankly, I'm glad I hoard some things.  I used these little flower and leaves punches to punch out a lot of these for my next step.
 After I punched out the two sizes of Sakura flowers, I added a tiny amount of gesso that I watered down to make a wash.  I brushed this lightly over the Coral paper scrap, which gave me a bit of a pinkish color, and then I punched out the tiny star shaped flowers.
Gesso wash applied over Coral scrap
 Here is my collection of flowers and leaves that I punched out.  Believe it or not, I needed more than this to finish.
 Next, I cupped the flowers with the use of my large ball stylus and a piece of fun foam. I have to tell you how sturdy the Anthology Arts paints made this paper.  It gave it super strength and the paper held its shape very well.  It honestly did not take very long to do this.
 I started laying out my flowers and leaves in a pleasing manner and glued them down as I went.  Then I added some mini dew drops in orange and pink to each of the Sakura flower centers.  I used a Viva Decor pearl paint pen to make centers for the tiny pinkish star flowers.
 
I hope you enjoyed my Asian Springtime card and painted flowers.  I love this technique for adding more dimension and beauty to my cards.  So be sure to visit Altered Pages and The Robin's Nest for all your card making and creative projects.  

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful and creative week!  Bring on Spring!

Barbara

Comments

  1. This is stunning.... WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty springtime card! And this is a great tutorial for putting together something similar. Thank you for the inspiration. I'm going to get out that collage sheet and make something today! Anne, yourmainestamper

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card is beautiful! I love the detail of the little flowers and the dew drops on them♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous as always!!! The dew drops just worked perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty Barbara I love oriental cards and collect Oreintal ATC's. Its great to see the Art Anthology products in action too. Your lattice frame and flowers compliment your chosen image perfectly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is amazing Barbara! It is beautiful...really awesome! And yes, I hoard punches too ;) Kindred spirits - LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q