Skip to main content

Upcycle Project - Cheese Box to Gift Box



“Have you laughed today?”  That’s the question that Laughing Cow cheese asks.  Hopefully, your answer is yes!  Laughing is so important…and in my world so is cheese.  Ha-ha-ha.  But what do you do with the box that these little yummy wedges come in.  In the past, I’ve tossed it into the recycle bin.  This time, I peeled off the labels and thought I’d play with it. 

There are two collage images from Altered Pages that I have been looking forward to using.  One is a dragon in flight and the other is a beautiful Oriental background in neutral colors.  I chose the Spiced Chai and Emerald City StazOn inks and copper Maya Mist spray.  I rubbed the entire box with the brown ink and then added some green here and there.  The box had labels on top, bottom and all around the side which left rough spots on the otherwise smooth cardboard.  This gave the box a rustic look once the ink was added and I loved it!  I sprayed the copper ink liberally on both halves.  It’s a gorgeous color full of sheen!  When the ink was dry I sealed both pieces with a workable fixative to seal the mist.

 
The lid of the box has a slight lip so I measured the inner circle and cut the background using my circle cutter set to 4”.  The background was rectangular so I did not get a complete circle.  I tore the straight edge off to give it a little texture.  I added brown and green ink to the edges of the circle and to the torn area.  The scrap had two visible patterns so I cut them out, inked the edges and glued them to the background before gluing the dragon in place.

The inside of the box was white cardboard and I painted it very lightly with dark brown paint.  Be conservative because the box needs to close so you don’t want a thick layer.  My largest scalloped circle die was perfect to make a bottom for the box.

The dragon comes as part of a scene so I cut him out and touched up the white edges with a marker.  The head, body and tail of the dragon were glued directly to the background and his wings were lifted with double sided foam adhesive.  The disc was then glued in place on the lid.


Our July partner is Leaky Shed Studios and this medallion embellishment was perfect for my design!  But the square shape didn’t work for my round project.  I sponged green ink onto the entire medallion and then sponged brown around the edges.  Then I ripped it in half!  I sponged brown ink onto the rips.  To help it stand out, the floral designs on the tips were dipped into gold ink. 


Once the medallion pieces were in place I added some strings of pearls, stopping at the base of each one.


 
 
And there you have it!  A pretty little gift box, perfect for a gift card, jewelry or even M&Ms!  Thanks for stopping by to check out my upcycle project!  I hope you'll take a moment to check out the Leaky Shed Studios site. 

 

Comments

  1. Somebody finally did it - altered a cheese box! I've held on to some of these and pushed them back in the brain's backburner to figure out what to do with them -- and LOOKIE HERE! This is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never in a millon year would have thought this was a recycle piece.. way cool.. must try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Last week I upcycled a cashew can but nothing like your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun, I have a stack of these saved as well...they are perfect little organizers and I never throw any of them away. It's fun to see how you've taken it and turned it into a fun little gift box.

    TFS Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is terrifc!!! totally wonderful what you did with a cheese box lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome up-cycle project! Will have to add that to my I have to try that list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job. Gonna see what I can come up with now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unique♥ Now off to the store to buy cheese in a box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. truly wonderful!!! the box looks like an aged treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look on this great gift box!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your upcycled box is so cool. I love everything about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Awesome box...I've never upcycled anything as grand as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous use of all those inks and colors to transform your box and wonderful detail to finish Robin. Such a lovely project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q