Skip to main content

Using Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers now available at AlteredPages.com!!!

Hello Night OWLS! Susan here bringing you some tips and techniques on coloring your Altered Pages Digital Download Collage Sheets. I will be using Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers now available at AlteredPages.com!!! Keep a lookout for a tutorial video for more tips and techniques using these fantastic products.

 

While playing I painted a swatch of the color on top and sides. Aren't they so lovely??? These colors look drastically different on light and dark backgrounds so I encourage you to PLAY with them to see their endless potential.

I purchased a package of Vintage Text Pages which is a fantastic assortment of book pages for altering. I cut up some pages to be perfect for ATC background pages and started to play... 


I put down a paper brushed with a little water and picked up the mixer color and painted it on. For most colors, I painted on both sides. This resulted in an aged paper look which has some translucency to it. I repeated for each color I made - this is how I ended up with all the lovely papers at the top of this post. AN INTERESTING DISCOVERY: Some of the colors {the green, red, pink and citrine/yellow pearls} pigment seeped straight through the paper, saving the step of painting both sides. The backside was lighter and not as strong - but an interesting and surprising result that was totally unexpected. After painting - I set aside to dry on waxed paper - this absorbed the excess moisture and kept my little colored pages from sticking.


An experiment: I made a test of just Crystal Lacquer on the book page to see if I could achieve the same look of an oil or resin coated paper. The result is YES!!! I poured about a quarter size of Crystal Lacquer on the page and spread it out on both sides. I let it set for a couple minutes, then dipped the tip of my brush in water {very little} and brushed it over. The Crystal Lacquer soaked through the paper and became translucent with the feel of vellum when dry. This will be a nice starting surface to work on for altered projects.


This piece using Crystal Lacquer only is two pieces that I laid on top of each other and became fused before I could pull them apart. I love how the translucency of the two papers are visable.


This piece is painted with a combination Crystal Lacquer with a small amount of Red Pearl Mixer and Bronze Mixer. The pigment color is very vibrant and can be used with more Crystal Lacquer and water for a translucent layering -OR- with more pigments for an opaque paint effect.


Next - I painted some Bazzill Chips Chipboard Keys with the Bronze Mixer. While painting the key I also painted a swatch onto black cardstock...STUNNING!!!




JOIN ME NEXT TIME on MAY 20th
where I will MAKE AN IMAGE TRANSFER using
Altered Pages Collage Sheets and CRYSTAL LACQUER!!!!

Have a great night creating before the Monday morning Madness! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you are inspired to go and alter something. Please visit the Altered Pages website for TUTORIAL VIDEOS, the new Terri Sproul Mixers, Collage Sheets, Rubber Stamps, blank items ready to alter, Project kits and more! If you would like to see more of my work Click HERE.

Comments

  1. Ooooooh I've so gotta try this. Wow what cool discoveries you've made!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q