Skip to main content

Handmade flowers and Gel press = sweet gift for mom

Hello all! On my last post, I showed you one of the hand made flowers I was working on, using some lovely hand made papers.

Today, I want to show you the other two flowers and how I used them.




Supplies:
Flowers
Acrylic paint
Canvas board
Glue
Gel Press
Stencils

Here are the 3 flowers I made and the rest of the items I will be using. You don't HAVE to make the flowers, in fact, we have a bunch of great new flowers here!


I started by dropping some green acrylic paint on my canvas board. I used a flat card to spread it around​. You can see a few small patches of the white and that's ok.


At this point I noticed that I didn't like the other petals on one of my flowers, so I trimmed it down. Much better!

I chose to put some pink drops on the green. I used my fingers to dot it around the board. Now I used a small gel plate, dotted the paint from my fingers on it then, rolled some light grey paint on it with a brayer. Pressing that on to the canvas.
Here's how that looks.

Now I wanted another color. I couldn't wait to break out my new trio of mini Gel Press plates. I used a stencil over the 6 sided one and tapped on some red orange color.
Peel the stencil off the gel plate and stamp that on to my board

Adding more colors and shapes using the gel plates, other stencils and brushes.

Then I decided it was time to glue on my hand made flowers.

Sometimes, I use my own words but I had this chip board piece in my stash so I glued it on as well.

Close up of flowers

And here is the finished canvas. I love how colorful it is and how much fun it was to make. I hope it has inspired you to make your own mixed media work.

Until next time.

Jen Rothstein (Dog-Ma Studio) for Alteredpages.com
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q