Skip to main content

Mail Art - an all-in-one card

Hello and welcome to my first post as part of the Altered Pages design team!  I appreciate the opportunity to share my art with you!  This month, Altered Pages is teaming up with Unruly Paper Arts, which is a BlogZine with wonderful art, and Leaky Shed Studio products.  Their theme this month is Mail Art and Moos.  I had never heard of a MOO before.  We’ll get back to that.  First, let’s see my mail art project!

The Unruly Paper Arts April issue features an RAQ (ReaderArt Quest) challenge for their readers to play along and create using a theme and a visual prompt.  Teacups and Tiaras was the theme this month.  I made an all-in-one greeting card/envelope combo.

If you have an envelope template that would make an awesome starting point.  I don’t have one so I cut mine out by hand to measure 10” x 7 1/4”.  Using the paper in portrait format, score in 3/4” on each side, 2 1/2” up from the bottom and 3” down from the top.  Fold along all lines and then cut out the four rectangle pieces in the corners as shown.

To create the inside greeting panel I used a Prima stencil and Versa Mark ink to give the background some texture. 

While that was drying I started on the chipboard crown from Leaky Shed Studio.  These little crowns are beautiful and since they are laser cut some of them have intricate patterns.  I chose to gild the crown for this project so I chose a plain surface.  I brushed on a coat of US Art Quest Duo adhesive.  Once it was ready I brushed on the gold leaf by Gildenglitz.  It created a beautiful shiny gold finish.  I used a Leaky Shed teacup on this project, too.  It was painted with bright blue acrylic paint with a matte finish.  I wanted the only shiny thing on this project to be the crown!



I chose several images from Altered Pages collage images for both inside and outside of this project.  I’ve provided a list and links below for you. 

Finally, I knew I wanted a border at the top and while I was looking for one…I found three!  All of them again from my favorite Bazzill package.  (I’m starting to run out of these so I had better get some more!)  The swirly border was cut in half to use as steam for the teacup.  All four were inked with Dark Brown Colorbox Chalk Ink. 

Because the envelope is part of the card I thought a word of caution was warranted and wrote “Open Gently” across the flap. 

Now, what’s a MOO, right?  For anyone who doesn’t know, they are bigger than an inchie and smaller than an ATC.  They measure in approximately at 1 1/8” by 2 3/4”.  I think they make cute little pops of color and design.  Altered Pages has a page of MOO backgrounds or you can certainly make your own. 

Products used on these projects:
Leaky Shed teacup & saucer (not used in this project)
“Queen for a day!” rubber stamp by Where the Rubber Hits the Road (obsolete)
“Special Delivery” rub-on (company unknown)
Postage Stamp Outline rubber stamp (company unknown)
Red Rose tea string

Altered Pages collage images:
Lady with stole and hat – AP1401-Beautiful Blue
Lady with teacup – AP701-Vicorian Tea
Pansy group, flower & tea cups on MOOs – AP3032 Tea Party Flowers
Pansy (on tea tag) – AP1714-Blue Color Collage
MOO backgrounds – AP1638-Moo Backgrounds

Thanks for stopping by!  Please also visit my blog Robin's Birdhouse.  Happy crafting!

Comments

  1. Wow! This is Gorgeous Robin and Thanks So Much for The Great Explanation on Everything. I NOW get what it ALL Means. Beverley....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love the card/envelope. And thanks for defining MOO for me. Anne, yourmainestamper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved what you made. I've never made an envelope card before. Will have to give it a try soon.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Great instructions and wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous mail art card. Love all of your details, and great explanations for everything. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wondering what a moo was! Very creative card and envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I especially like the tea bag tag- a great touch as is the gold crown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this all in one combo Robin and your two moos are fabulous too. A perfect piece of mail art and perfect creation for the Unruly RAQ Theme. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful mail art, Robin!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! The colors and images you used work together perfectly!!

    Your moo art is super :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of your projects! So clever to use a flourish for steam! Helene from UPA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q